Will Tattoo Removal Affect Breast Implants?

I am considering Breast Augmentation, but I have tattoos on my breast, about the size of three fingers on each. I plan on having them removed by laser treatment. If I get Breast implants before I start the Tattoo removal treatment, can the laser harm my implants? Should I get the tattoos removed before I get implants?

Tattoos and implants

+1

Having a tattoo placed or removed, should have no effect on the breast implants directly.  If you are having it removd after implants, jsut wait some time to heal.

+1

Will Tattoo Removal Affect Breast Implants? The lasers work predominantly on the dermis and the implants are considerably deeper. Although it will not likely effect the implant, it could effect the scar.

Tattoo removal will not hurt breast implants.

+1

Hi.

You can have your tattoos treated before or after you get breast implants. There is no interaction. But I should tell you that tattoo removal is difficult and seldom fully successfull.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

No relationship between Tattoo Removal and Breast Implants

+1

This is a personal question. You must do what is best for you. There is NO relationship between the tattoo removal and implantation. You should get the implants first from my point of view and maybe you will than keep the tattoo.

Tattoo removal from the breasts before or after breast implant surgery

+1

The laser used for tattoo removal will not penetrate the subcutaneous plane. It only reaches the dermis of the skin, so it will not affect your imlant if it is in place prior to the tattoo removal. If, however, the tattoo removal should not be done if the incisions of the breast surgery are raw. You don't want to chance the rare complication of a skin infection from the tattoo removal which could theoretically increase the risk of the implant getting infected via an opening in the skin. If you wish to have the tattoo removed first, keep in mind that laser tattoo removal may take more than 10 monthly treatments to signifcantly fade the color, and may not remove it completely. Some colors are more stubborn than others, black being the most responsive to treatment. So if you're interested in having breast augmentation within the year, then you may as well have it first and then start the series of tattoo removal treatments afterwards.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Tattoo removal over breast implants

+1

We have been providing laser tattoo removal for almost ten years now including over areas that patients have had breast implants. The laser for removing the tattoo ink does not penetrate past the dermis so there should be no problems with the tattoo removal causing breast implant complications. You might want to separate the treatments by two months after the implants to give the breast tissue a chance to heal. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal BEFORE or AFTER Breast Implant Placement

+1

Uncomplicated tattoo removal involves the delivery of high levels of energy to each tattoo pigments busting it into small enough pieces that the white cells of the body can gulp them up and remove them from the area. The depth of the process takes place in the deep skin NOT at the level of the implants. So, in principle, it SHOULD be safe to do.

However, with every surgical procedure there is the pesky issue of potential complications. If complications such as a burn or infection takes place it would be much nicer if you did NOT have an implant underneath to be affected.

I would therefore advise you to take care of the tattoos first. Allow the skin to heal and then have your Breast Implants.

Another benefit is that if your breasts are sagging, you would not have a messed up tattoo to deal with AFTER a BREAST LIFT / AUGMENTATION was done.

Dr. P. Aldea

Tattoo Removal over Breast Implants

+1

Hello Asia, I have removed many tattoo's on breast skin after augmentation safely and effectively. The lasers don't penetrate anywhere near the depth required to damage in implant. The lasers required to perform such removal are what's known as quality switched or Q switched lasers. Hope this helps.

Dr D.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo laser and breast implanst

+1

Not to worry. The tattoo lasering will not have any effect on the Breast Implants. They are much deeper than how far the laser goes through the skin.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Tattoos and breast implants

+1

I would suggest having your tattoo removal done prior to your implants. I don't believe that implants would be affected by the laser removal process in any way, but it's probably better to be safe and just get them removed prior to surgery. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS