Breast Augmentation Surgery While Slightly Thyrotoxic

Is it safe to have a breast augmentation using local and sedation whilst being slightly thyrotoxic?

Plastic surgery while thyrotoxic

+1

Considering Breast Augmentation is a purely elective procedure, it is NOT a good idea to proceed with surgery while you are "slightly thyrotoxic".  You need clearance from your Endocrinologist or Family Physician prior to proceeding with surgery in my opinion because it is simply not worth it.  Safety first is always my plan.  Good luck

Thyrotoxic

+1

Dear LFH,

I agree 100% with Dr DeMars.  It will be irresponsible by your surgeon to opertate on you while you have thyrotoxic condition. This can result in a condition caled 'Thyroxic storm' that can be fatal. I can not believe that any board crtified anesthesiologist will agree to give you anesthesia. Your best mode of action is to complete your treatment under the care of an endocrinologist and only when he clears you medically, go ahead with the surgery. Be sure to have the surgery by a board certified plastic surgeon and in an accredited facility only.

Dr Widder 

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is not a good idea to have cosmetic surgery when you have any other medical problems going on. It is also not a good idea to do the surgery with local anesthesia and sedation without a board certified anesthesiologist in attendance. And once you have the anesthesiologist available you should go ahead with a general anesthetic. It is as safe or safer and far more comfortable.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD