Will Breast Implants Make Stretch Marks Worse?

I was D cup, now am a small B cup. I only had stretch marks on the bottom of my breasts, and little on the sides. Later they shrunk and I got stretch marks on the inner breasts and top. Nobody believes this. Now that I want breast augmentation.

I would like to know how breast augmentation will look with my stretch marks. When I am laying on side they look weird because of stretch marks and loss of volume how will this look with a breast augmentation. My breasts do not sag underneath just no volume at the top. The skin/areola are lower but no bottom sag. Will breast augmentation work for me?

Stretch marks and breast augmentation

+2

Properly done, like liposuction, breast augmentation should have no effect on the skin including it's tone, color, stretch marks, scars, or tattoos. Depending on position, local factors, and lighting, stretch marks might appear to be more noticeable but are not actually changed.

By properly done, I mean that an implant that is properly fitted, positioned, and filled (if saline). If the implant is fitted properly it does not stretch or distort the skin level. If it is not fitted properly it is like a foot that is too big for a shoe and forced in anyway, resulting in stretching and distortion.

Stretch marks are scars within the skin caused by rapid growth or stretching and hormonal effects usually at puberty, pregnancy, or from taking steroids. Properly done breast augmentation should not stretch the skin and there are no hormonal or steroid effects.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks and implants

+1

The stretch marks that you have will still be there after breast augmentation. It is difficult to say how your skin will react to the implants and the expansion.

Stretch marks and breast implants

+1

Breast implants can make stretch marks more visible and can be the source of new stretch marks. From what you are describing you may not be a candidate for implants only because of the excess skin. You really need to show some pictures or see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks probably better after breast implants.

+1

Hi.

It's hard to tell without a picture, but I am pretty sure your breasts would look better overall after breast augmentation. Stretch marks probably better, and very unlikely to be worse.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Stretch marks and Breast implants

+1

Pictures would be of tremendous help in this instance. Given the limited information, it is my impression your stretch marks will improve with implants. They generally do. To help determine if this is the case in your particular situation, stretch the skin of the breast and see if the appearance of the striae improve. Of course, this will be influenced by the size of the implant and resulting distension of the skin.

Breast augmentation and stretch marks

+1

All of the problems you are describing are the result of volume loss in an inelastic skin envelope. Your skin has been stretched and no longer has the ability to shrink around the smaller breast. The stretch marks are more visible due to volume loss as they most likely are creating a contour irregularity.

The solution to this is to replace volume with a breast implant. and depending on how loose the skin is a breast lift may be necessary. Any skin removed would surgically take away the stretch marks within the lift pattern.

More definitive answers can be given to you by a board certified plastic surgeon in a consultation in your area.

I hope this was helpful and I think you will be very pleased with the results which can be achieved in the hands of a good surgeon.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and stretch marks

+1

Sometimes when the skin is pulled tighter stretch marks are less apparent. They will never go away, but if your implants fill your tissue they may look better. If you have very large implants placed, this can worsen the stretch marks. I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon when discussing your goals for surgery. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS