Best Implant Projection for Women with Hourglass Figure?

I am 5'8", 125 lbs. with a small waist and slightly bigger hips. I have been told I have an hourglass figure. I am considering having 500 cc high profile silicone breast implants. Would this look too fake? What implant projection would look natural for women with hourglass figure?

Be prepared to engage in thoughtful dialogue and discussion with your plastic surgeon!

+3

Determining the size and shape of an implant is difficult and demands considerable attention by you and your plastic surgeon. The first place to start is by determining the size of the implant. I can speak from 23 years of experience that you need to consider factors beyond just appearance, focusing on physical activities, lifestyle, hobbies, and vocation. Considering all comers across the board, 90% or more of my patients choose between 300 cc’s to 450 cc’s (10 oz to 15 oz).

To assist in the appropriate choice of implant size, we ask our patient to do two tasks:

• Bring 2-3 pictures each of breasts that you like and dislike
  • "Try on" the implants by placing various sized implants into your bra.

Once we obtain the size, then we determine the best shape of the implant based on your physical dimensions and proportions and those of the implant…there must be harmony.

In summary, it is best to see a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast surgery. Do not be in a rush, and be prepared to engage in thoughtful dialogue and discussion. After all, it is all about you!

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Determining implant profiles and size

+2

I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest options for you. In order to achieve the look you would like, find pictures online or in magazines of what you like and do not like. This will help your surgeon figure out a range and what style of implant to use. High profile implants are not used as often to provide a natural look. They allow for more projection sometimes giving a "torpedo" look. Most of the time, I use either moderate to moderate plus for patients. However, it is difficult to determine size and shape of implants prior to the surgery because internally, your anatomy is different and we can not tell whether your chest is concaved or convexed. Once in the operating room, Idetermine size and shape using sizers. With all the implants in stock at the surgery center, I am able to choose which size will best to match the size and shape you want more accurately. Some women require 2 different volumes or cc's for each breast to obtain symmetry. Initially, after surgery, you will have swelling and bruising. Maintenence requires massaging and wearing a surgical bra for 1 full month to help implants settle and soften. Final results may be seen within 4- 6 months. Good luck!

Implants for hourglass figure

+2

For patients that are a bit curvier, a wider implant to compliment the lower body curve is probably better than a HP implant which I tend to use for narrower framed people who want larger breasts.  I would suggest going with smaller moderate plus or moderate implants.

This will definitely look fake.

+2

To Bluegirl,

Hi! Don't go so big. I am always urging women to use moderate size implants. 400 cc would give you a very voluptious look. Huge implants definitely look fake, they have more problems (like increased risk of loss of nipple sensation), and they don't age well.

Anyway, the final implant size should only be picked DURING surgery. We place the operating table in a sitting position (you are still under anesthesia, of course) and we put temporary implant SIZERS into the implant pockets.

Then we put different amounts of saline into the sizer until we find the largest implant size that leaves you still looking reasonably natural. We then discard the sizer and place the appropiate silicone implants into your breasts.

Using sizers eliminates the guesswork, and if the surgeon has a good eye,you should be happy.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Try them on

+2

I think implant choice can be very difficult. Ultimately it involves personal taste combined with recommendations from your surgeon. I believe the most critical factor in choosing an implant will be the diameter of your breast. That, combined with desired size will lead to a projection type. Simply put: the more the projection, the more "aggressive" the ultimate look will be. High profile, 500cc implants will result, in my opinion, in a very aggressive look that will draw a lot of attention. If that is what you are comfortable with, go for it.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

It's not the implant, it's the individual

+2

You have to look at your natural anatomy and project the look you want to see what type or size of implant would be appropriate. High-profile implants have a narrower base diameter for the same volume as a lower profile implant. Hourglass figues usually refers to the silhouette from the front and may require a wider base, but this depends on the size and dimension of your natural breast. A surgeon who is able to analyze and customize your procedure to fit your desire should be able to lead you to a "best-fit" style and size of implant. Be careful of long-term consequences of choosing an implant that is overly large compared to your natural breast and anatomy.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD