My Breast Augmentation Scars Are 1 Inch and 1/4 Inch Away from the Crease. Is This Normal?

Hi, I had a breast aug done back in March of this year. I am not satisfied with the placement of my scars and their appearance. The left scar is 1/2 of an inch away from the crease and the right is almost 3/4 inch away. I'm trying to find out if some error has been made with the incision/scar areas or if this is normal. Also, should I wait a while before seeing a revision specialist? I am 4 months post-op and have been using silicone sheets for the raised portion/color improvement. Thank you.

Scars after Breast Augmentation

+3

If a patient selects an inframammary incision for placement of breast implants, it is reasonable for the scar to be above the inframammary fold.  More times than not, when an augmentation is performed the inframammary crease is lowered, the incision site is usually above the inframammary fold by about a 1/4 inch.  When the fold is dropped to accomodate the larger implant, the fold is lowered and therefore the distance between the incision site and the bottom of the breast increases by the amount the fold is lowered.  

it is often difficult to predict how much the fold needs to be lowered to accomodate the breast implant.  Most if not all breast augmentation scars heal beautifully.  What is hard for the patient to have patience.   The incisions usually heal marvelously.   I think I have only revised two breast augmentation incision scars in 19 years of clinical practice.

Usually the patients are overjoyed by the results of their surgery that the surgical incision is very unimportant.   But if the surgical scar is thick, unsightly or raised, it is not unreasonable to revise the scar.  I would wait at least 6 months before revising the scar.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation scars

+2

Your scars are a little hypertrophic and the right one is a littel further from the fold. In my experience all augmentation scars in this area migrate away from the fold after surgery even if you make the incision right in the fold. Your scars and the breast result are within the realm of expected results from this type of surgery. The only additional thing you might do is have your surgeon inject the scars with a very small amount of kenalog and/or prescribe medicated tape. That will flatten and soften the scars.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Scar Placement Options

+2

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the scars. 

Placement of the scars varies with each surgeon.  Most surgeons would have  placed the scars a little closer to the inframammary fold (breast crease).  However, if the scar is right in the fold, then many patients get discomfort from their bras rubbing the scars (especially those with underwire).  Scars chronically irritated by bra friction wll get more inflamed and form thicker scars.  That's why some surgeons prefer to put the scars just off the fold.

The other possibiltiy is that the scars were originally closer to the fold, but the weight of the implants has stretched the skin near the fold and caused the scar to "migrate" up onto the breast.

If you are considering having a scar revision, I would recommend you continue keeping the scar moist with scar care products and the silicone sheeting you mentioned.  You may want to wait a full year because they will look better over time and it may save you more surgery.  If the scars are very wide, then time will not make them more narrow and you may want to have a revision sooner. 

Hope this helps!

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation scars elevated from IMF Crease on Breast

+1

When breast implants are inserted through the Inframammary crease (IMF) the incision site rides up with the added volume of the implant onto what will eventually settle out as the undersurface of the breast.  Although it impossible to exactly predict, the amount the incision will rise up can be estimated so the scar will lie closer to the newly created IMF.  However as other surgeons here have pointed out, often times this is purposely not done to avoid secondary complications such as bras or bathing suits rubbing on the scars, or  worse having a scar end up on the chest wall itself.

IMF scars will continue to fade and become less visible over the course of year on the undersurface of your breast.

If however in your specific case you do notice thickening of the scars as they do additionally look mildly hypertrophic- a small dose of kenalog and possibly some compression tape  may be warranted.

Warm Regards,

Dr Quinton Chivers

Quinton Chivers, MD, FRCS(C)

Inframammary incisions are sometimes asymmetric after breast implants

+1

Inframammary incisions are sometimes asymmetric after breast implants because you may have had some pre-operative asymmetry.

Most likely your right breast fold was higher than the left and when the fold was lowered (which is normal) to match the other side the incision appears to be higher on that right side. 

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Inframammary scar placement

+1

The placement of your scars seems to me to be just about what I would plan for my patients. They are high enough that your bra band will not rub on them even if you wear an underwire bra and they will not show in a two piece bathing suit if the top rides up a bit. I also always tell my patients that there will be differences between the two sides; in this world perfect symmetry is not attainable. It is too bad that you are not happy with the placement of your scars, but they should fade with time and become less noticeable. You might want to talk with your surgeon about the various treatments available to mature scars faster. Good luck.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation inframammary scar position

+1

Some of your asymmetry in inframammary scar position may be the result of pre-operative breast asymmetry.  In general, having the scars positioned slightly above the crease is preferable to in the crease, as bra straps and underwires rubbing on the scars can be very annoying, and two piece bathing suits can occasionally ride up slightly onto the breasts exposing the inframammary crease (and the scars if they are positioned in the crease). 

Your scars will likely improve in appearance over time, and as the breasts settle will probably not be visible when you look at your breasts from the front.  Once made, there is no practical way to significantly change their location.  I would recommend that you continue to take good care of your scars and follow up with your surgeon, so that you can optimize their final appearance.

Good luck.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You should continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon in order to receive formal evaluations and maintain your doctor patient relationship.

Craig S. Rock, MD