Swelling and Discomfort After Breast Augmentation

I'm 5 ft 2 ins and had 300 cc saline implants almost a week now. I am still swollen and uncomfortable. Should I have them removed?

You will start to feel better every day from here

+2

It is normal to have swelling and soreness even 1 week after surgery. I had one patient who stayed in bed for 2 weeks after breast augmentation! Almost all my patients tell me they feel 100% better by the end of the second week. The size implant you had sounds like a reasonable size. I tell my patients that they can expect their breasts to seem "too big" at the beginning due to swelling. If they seemed like the "right " size now then after all the swelling went down you would be disappointed. So it is OK that they seem too large now. I tell my patients that the majority of swelling will be gone by 6 weeks but that softening and settling take a full 6 months.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Still early in recovery

+1
You may feel some discomfort and pain after breast augmentation, but this is generally well controlled by pain medications. Most patients experience a moderate degree of discomfort for up to 7-14 days.

Most swelling will resolve within 14 days.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast implants take time for swelling to dissapate and implants to settle down.

+1

There are some studies which have shown that swelling can persist for up to 6-9 months after surgery.

Furthermore, the initial "high riding" position of the implants can make them look disproportionately swollen. As the implants "drop", they begin to look and feel less swollen as they begin to "jiggle". However this can take up to 6-9 months.

Give it more time prior to making any rash decisions.

Hang in there

+1

Rita,

Hang in there.  Contact your surgeon and find out if you can be given medication to ease your discomfort.  The worst of your pain should be over and you should feel better day by day now.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD