Saline Implants Sticking out Underneath Breast (photo)

I am a week out of breast augmentation. I have 250cc saline smooth implants under the muscle. And ever since day two I have noticed the left breast implant showing on the side and sticking out the bottom, making it hang lower, yet the nipples are symmetrical. Is this a problem or still possibly normal while it heals? My right breast has looked normal (minus minor swelling) from the beginning, which is way I am more alarmed with the left breast. Also, do they appear to be too far apart?

Saline Implants Sticking out Underneath Breast

It is best to make sure you address this concern with your surgeon as he/she knows best what procedure was done.  If the fold on the left breast was manipulated then you are at increased risk of a "double bubble" but it is far too early to determine where you will end up after all the tissue settles.  Sometimes it just takes longer on one side versus the other to settle into place.  Continue to follow the postoperative instructions from your surgeon and monitor the area and changes going forward.

Could be related to swelling...

Your picture suggests that your right breast implant seems to set slightly lower than your left implant. In the early postoperative period, this may be related to swelling. Immediately following surgery, it’s not unusual to see minor degrees of asymmetry following this type of procedure.In the majority of patients, this appears to improve with the resolution of swelling.
In this case, I would stop wearing the superior breast bandeau and switch to a bra that supports the inframammary fold.It’s not unusual for changes to occur for up to three to four months following surgery.
For this reason, it’s important to be patient and maintain good communication with your surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to discuss this issue and alleviate your anxiety.

Left pocket for breast implants looks too low.

1) I see what you are talking about. It is subtle, but it is there, and I don't think it will go away.

2) Live with your breast implants for at least six months, before you contemplate a revision. Overall, your breasts look good. They are not too far apart.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Wait several months after breast augmentation before worrying about positioning

It is too early post-op to be alarmed about positioning of the implants. It is difficult to see fromyour photographs. Discuss your conerns with your surgeon and wait patiently for things to settle down.

You are very early post-op

You are very early post-op and you may be surprised how everything evens out as the swelling disappears and the implants settle. Without comparison to pre-op photos it is difficult to give you more specific advice. My only advice is to be patient and to follow closely with your surgeon. One other work of advice is to stop wearing that strap that is pushing down the implants. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Continue to see your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns

I would continue to see your plastic surgeon in follow up and discuss your concerns with him. You are very early in the healing phase and have a long way to go. Optimal results following breast augmentation are not seen until 3-4 months postoperatively. Be patient! I wish you the very best and I hope this helps!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Talk to your surgeon

See my answer to your other inquiry. You need to wait until 6-8 months after surgery to determine if a revision is necessary.

So be patient and enjoy your need shape.

I wish I could tell you what the future holds

Jenga: You are an astute observer. There is a small difference in your photos. I have several difficulties in answering your questions. (Your surgeon is in a better position to answer for you.) I do not know your pre-op appearance. I do not know the details of your surgery. I know how patients typically recover with my own techniques, but not your surgeon's. I can tell you that many differences that are notable early after surgery improve with time and go away or become insignificant.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Implant appears too low

It appears that the implant is sitting too low and is causing a double bubble deformity. I would stop wearing the upper pole band and start 24/7 use of a good supportive bra.

You may be able to get the implant to heal in a more elevated position. If not, you may need revisional surgery to close the lower implant pocket.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Take off that strap

If your implant on the right is riding too low, and it looks like it is, I would at least not wear the upper pole strap. If anything, it is helping to push the implant down and you don't need that. I personally never use those except every 2-3 years when I think an implant just isn't settling naturally to my expectations.