Saline Implants Sticking out Underneath Breast (photo)

I am a week out of breast augmentation. I have 250cc saline smooth implants under the muscle. And ever since day two I have noticed the left breast implant showing on the side and sticking out the bottom, making it hang lower, yet the nipples are symmetrical. Is this a problem or still possibly normal while it heals? My right breast has looked normal (minus minor swelling) from the beginning, which is way I am more alarmed with the left breast. Also, do they appear to be too far apart?

Wait 3-4 months before assessing results

+1
It is still too early to assess your results. Please wait for about 3-4 months, as by this time your breasts will have settled into a more natural position.

Left pocket for breast implants looks too low.

+1

Hi.

1) I see what you are talking about. It is subtle, but it is there, and I don't think it will go away.

2) Live with your breast implants for at least six months, before you contemplate a revision. Overall, your breasts look good. They are not too far apart.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Wait several months after breast augmentation before worrying about positioning

+1

It is too early post-op to be alarmed about positioning of the implants. It is difficult to see fromyour photographs. Discuss your conerns with your surgeon and wait patiently for things to settle down.

You are very early post-op

+1

You are very early post-op and you may be surprised how everything evens out as the swelling disappears and the implants settle. Without comparison to pre-op photos it is difficult to give you more specific advice. My only advice is to be patient and to follow closely with your surgeon. One other work of advice is to stop wearing that strap that is pushing down the implants. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Continue to see your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns

+1

I would continue to see your plastic surgeon in follow up and discuss your concerns with him. You are very early in the healing phase and have a long way to go. Optimal results following breast augmentation are not seen until 3-4 months postoperatively. Be patient! I wish you the very best and I hope this helps!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Talk to your surgeon

+1

See my answer to your other inquiry. You need to wait until 6-8 months after surgery to determine if a revision is necessary.

So be patient and enjoy your need shape.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

I wish I could tell you what the future holds

+1

Jenga: You are an astute observer. There is a small difference in your photos. I have several difficulties in answering your questions. (Your surgeon is in a better position to answer for you.) I do not know your pre-op appearance. I do not know the details of your surgery. I know how patients typically recover with my own techniques, but not your surgeon's. I can tell you that many differences that are notable early after surgery improve with time and go away or become insignificant.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Implant appears too low

+1

It appears that the implant is sitting too low and is causing a double bubble deformity. I would stop wearing the upper pole band and start 24/7 use of a good supportive bra.

You may be able to get the implant to heal in a more elevated position. If not, you may need revisional surgery to close the lower implant pocket.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Take off that strap

+1

If your implant on the right is riding too low, and it looks like it is, I would at least not wear the upper pole strap. If anything, it is helping to push the implant down and you don't need that. I personally never use those except every 2-3 years when I think an implant just isn't settling naturally to my expectations.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Low implant and inframammary crease may need repair

+1

I do see the asymmetry and the problem you are trying to explain. I wonder if the picture image is reversed—on the left side of the picture—which should be the right breast if the image is not reversed, the breast implant is lower than on the other side, and you see an indent above the bulging implant.

The bulge you see below the breast is the implant bulging or falling below the infra mammary crease-the normal lower limiting border of the breast. Some call this a double bubble and it occurs when the lower supporting ligament of the breast, the infra mammary crease ligament is violated during surgery and the implant is allowed to fall lower than we want.

This most often happens when there is a breast asymmetry pre-op and we are trying to lower the inframammary crease on one side to match the other.

See your doctor soon. He/she may want to tape the infra mammary fold and use a support bra to push the implant up and hopefully allow the infra mammary fold to heal in.

However, in my experience a surgical revision and reconstruction of the fold is almost always necessary-but should be delayed until at least 3-6 months after surgery to allow the tissues to heal properly.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS