Unhappy With Results, What Is The Protocol For Breast Augmentation Revision Pricing?

1st week follow up after having BA. I was a bit shocked at my PCs attitude. He seemed to be defensive when I said I did not like the results. He also said I chose the size I have. Actually, the size looks nothing close to the size I tried on. What do I do? Normally if a revision is done would I have to pay again? I feel I went through only to be disappointed. He said they will look smaller when settled. They look small now since they are sitting so high, and nothing on bottom.

Breast Augment Revision

+4

You have expressed very well what happens when the patient "tries on" implants in the office. They NEVER look the same once they are behind the tissues. It is the surgeon's responsibility, once he accepts you as a patient, to give you a result that is pleasing to you AS LONG AS your request is appropriate, realistic and within the bounds of possibility. But once you have had the surgery you need to wait 10-12 weeks before you will see the final result. At that point, if you were in our practice and were still unhappy we would redo the surgery with the only cost to you being the cost of the new implants. All surgeons have a financial policy and that is ours. Your surgeon may have a different policy and should have presented it to you, in writing, at the time you first consulted with him regarding the augment. But if your surgeon bleames you for the problem because he made you pick the implants, you may do better seeking another opinion if after 3 months you are still unhappy.

Protocol For Breast Augmentation Revision Pricing

+2

Sorry for your disappointment. Each office has different policies regarding revisions. Your surgeon does not have a vested interest in ensuring your happiness so if you continue to communicate with him in a clear and consistent manner then the surgeon and your should be able to come to a mutually agreeable revision plan and pricing.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Why choosing implants before surgery is not wise...

+2

Hi there-

You have, unfortunately, now learned why I have always believed that committing firmly to a particular implant prior to surgery is a grave mistake for both surgeon and patient.

Why do some surgeons do things this way? I can only guess that they do so in order to be able to say to unhappy patients what your surgeon said to you- it's your fault, you picked the implants.

Hopefully, time and gravity will cause the implants to settle into a more attractive and natural position- this usually takes a few months.

Should this fail to occur, discuss your options openly, honestly, and without contempt or belligerence with your surgeon. The one thing that I am confident in telling you is that he wants you to be happy. Hopefully the two of you will be able to come up with a solution that is comfortable.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Dissatsfaction - Who is Responsible?

+2

I'm sorry for your disappointment. The best result and satisfaction are obtained when both the woman and her surgeon work together to translate her vision into te best possible compromise implants that may come close. Based on your physical examination , available breast tissue coverage and skin stretch the choice of potential breat impants can be narrowed to under10 implants. Trying implants in a bra OVER the breasts is misleading and much larger than what these impants would look like once they were placed under the weight of your breast and muscle tissues. It is my practice to make this point clear to my patients. But the best tool to show women Wat they may look like with each implant is by using digital computer imaging. Look up the Canfield VECTRA which allows the Plastic surgeon to take a 3D picture of your chest which can be rotated from every angle 360 degrees and then will show a simulated image of you with every implant you may be interested in. Although not identical to the results seen after surgery it is THE best way of educating women on making the best choice for them. 

By allowing the woman to make the final implant choice instead of choosing them for her I place my women in charge. 

As far as revisions and who pas for what, that would depend on each surgeon and having their policy made clear before you have the operation. Obviously, it is much better for both you and your surgeon not to be here. 

Early expectations from a breast augmentation

+2

It is not unusual for the breasts to appear somewhat flattened when they are placed under the muscle.  At one week is still too early to think that this is your final result.   Give it some time to allow the muscle to stretch out over the implant and at the same time the implants will drop.   As plastic surgeons, we work to please our patients and to meet their expectations.  Early disappointment is common especially if you were expecting a result that could not be delivered.  Keep the lines of communication open between you and your plastic surgeon and hopefully your expectations will be met.   

Revision following breast augmentation

+2

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your results.  However, as difficult as it may be, I would encourage you to be patient.  One week after surgery is till too soon to determine the final results -- breasts will continue "to settle" after an augmentation for 2-3 months.  Sometimes as the muscle relaxes, the breasts take on a different, more pleasing shape.  If after they have settled, you are still unhappy with the results, then I would encourage you to calmly discuss your dissatisfaction with your surgeon.  

Each practice has a different policy regarding revisions following cosmetic surgery.  Usually, most practices will give you a revision policy in writing before you have your original surgery.  I would encourage you to find out the revision policy for your plastic surgeon -- many times, you will be responsible for the cost of implants, operating room, and anesthesia (and the surgeon's fee will be waived).  Check with your surgeon.

Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Revisionary Surgery Policy?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you have after your procedure.

You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too  small.

I have found,  that with time,  as breast implants “settle”  that the resulting breast size/shape seem larger. You may be able to see this for yourself if you stand in front of a full-length mirror and “pull up on the breast skin and down on the breast implant";  as the breast implant moves into the lower part of the pocket and the nipple/areola move up,  the breast may appear to be larger in appearance.

I would suggest you wait at least 2 to 6 additional months before you make any decisions regarding revisionary surgery.  This waiting time will allow you to (potentially) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.  

If at that point,  you're convinced that the breast implants are too small ( assuming the breast implant pockets are otherwise doing well), revisionary  surgery  is a relatively painless procedure.

At that point also you will need to have a calm, non-accusatory conversation with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns/goals. If you find that there is still a “failure to communicate”,  seeking 2nd opinions may be indicated.

Generally, it is best to maintain a good relationship with your original plastic surgeon ( assuming he/she is a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon).  This will help when it comes time to discussing revisionary surgery cost policy.  You will find that this policy varies from one office to another. Generally, plastic surgeons work hard to try to keep their patients happy and will likely try to minimize expenses as much as possible.

Again, clear communication with your plastic surgeon will be important to avoid further dissatisfaction.

Breast Implants are "A Mile High"

+1

I am sorry to hear about your experience.  Fortunately, implants can/will settle in to their natural position over time.  Unfortunately, the settling will not increase the size.  It is best to wait about 6 month before final judgement is passed on the result. Only then can realistic plans be made for revision if it is necessary at all.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast augmentation

+1

First, I would give it a few months to settle down. It is too early to know exactly how they will look. Second, each office handles revisions differently, and you should discuss that with the office when the time comes.