Double Bubble After Breast Implants Changed

I had my implants placed under the muscle and my left side developed a double bubble. My PS changed the implant from under to over the muscle but left my right side alone. Am I going to have a different look on each side since I have one over the muscle and one under the muscle?

Over and under

+1

While one is over the muscle, and one is under, if you don ot have alot of soft tissue coverage, the one over may ripple more and the one under may have flexion issues.  Hard to say without an exam

Under on one side, over on the other will look different

+1

It is likely that there will be a difference at some point even if they look similar now, but no hurry if not. There are other options by the way to avoid and correct double bubble while still retaining muscle coverage over the top of the breast, called a split muscle technique. Your surgeon was correct to recognize that it is the muscle release when doing the standard technique ("dual-plane") that often causes the double bubble.

Richard Baxter, MD

Appearance of two breasts with Under the Muscle and Over the Muscle implants

+1

I am a little confused. IF you had it done already, can't you answer the question yourself? Do they look different now? Over the long term, you may experience a dfferent appearance because implants under the muscle tend to remain higher than implants placed over the muscle as the breast tissue ages and descends. Some refer to one appearance as the "rock in the sock" and the other as the "snoopy" deformity.

No guarantees in breast augmentation result

+1

It is likely that the implant over the muscle will sag more over time, and has a higher risk of contracture. Despite this, no way to tell if this will happen or not.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast implants and symmetry

+1

It's hard to predict if your breasts will look very different from each other in the future. Keep in mind that most women do not have perfectly symmetric breasts to begin with; augmentation will often make this more obvious. You may notice subtle differences, but if they are small, I would suggest just observing them. If you ever need to have the implants replaced in the future, you could certainly opt for having them both placed under the muscle at that time. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS