Detrimental to Wait After 3 Months for Breast Pocket Revision?

I had a Breast Augmentation on 2/13/09. My right breast implant will not drop. I've been massaging 4 times daily, wearing the strap (was advised to wear until my 3-month mark), and taking vitamin E. My surgeon has asked me not to see him until I am at the 3-month mark, stating that there's no problem going on with my breasts. I can see that the right breast's incision scar is lower than the left as far as where my crease is. I can also see that the pocket "squares out" on the bottom of the right breast. Is there a danger in waiting for 3 months before considering revision?

Time is on Your Side!

+2

It is better to wait about 3 months, as advised by your surgeon.

This is quite commonplace, and we typically see the correction occur with time and without surgery!

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Wait At Least 6 Months Before Breast Revision

+1

The period of time immediately following breast augmentation surgery is characterized by rapid change. During this dynamic phase of healing, swelling, muscle spasm and the healing process itself all contribute to change in the appearance of a women’s breast. In some cases, swelling and muscle spasm can displace the breast implants in a superior direction.

When swelling and muscle spasm resolve, the implants will drop into a more normal position. This can be facilitated by performing implant displacement exercises and utilizing superior chest compression. Significant progress can be seen in 4 to 6 weeks, but changes can be expected up to six months following surgery.

For these reasons, we very rarely perform revisional pocket surgery for at least six months following breast augmentation. During this interval, many patients demonstrate significant improvement and are ultimately happy with their results. When surgery does prove necessary, the wound healing dynamics are more favorable at this time which translates into better results. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Pocket Revision

+1
I do not think there is any problem with waiting at least three months to revise the breasts.  Due to the nature with which we heal, going in too early poses unnecessary risks and can make the problem worse.  If you trusted your surgeon to operate on you, then trust him to guide you through your recovery.  This is the first time you have been through this experience but I'm sure your surgeon has been through it with many patients.
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Waiting is a good thing

+1
In this case, waiting can benefit you in the long run. Oftentimes, round smooth implants will appear high after surgery as your pectoral muscles contract. However, in the majority of cases the implants do come down and a natural breast shape is assumed without any additional procedures. Both wearing a strap, going braless, and massaging can aid in this process; however, I would recommend you to follow the instructions of your surgeon since they are most familiar with your case. As far as revisionary surgery is concerned, it is beneficial to wait until at least the 6 month mark before considering. At that point, you not only have an idea of what your final result will be, but your tissue will also be fully healed at that point. Performing revisionary procedures too soon post-operatively can cause other potential complications, and it is therefore advisable to avoid in the few months after your initial surgery.
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Revision surgery should wait until six months or more after your first surgery.

+1

Although three months may feel like a long time, especially when you are back to your normal routine already, it is actually pretty short in the grand scheme of the healing process. I advise patients to wait at least six months after their breast augmentation before even considering revision surgery; some patients may not really see their final results until up to a year. There are a number of reasons why one breast looks slightly different, and there are just as many reasons why it may resolve quietly on its own without revision surgery.

Web reference: http://www.davidsayah.com/breast-implant-revision-faqs.php

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

I'm sure you're case will be instructive to other patients as well.

Implants tend to “settle” asymmetrically and may continue to do so for up to one year after surgery.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon as you have planned.  Use massage of the breasts if so instructed.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm

Time Frame for breast aug revision

+1

I wouldn't be in rush.  It is quite possible that your right implant will drop on its own.  Sometimes one side drops more quickly than the other.  I would advise waiting at least 6 months before considering a revision. If at the 6 month point it seems to be slowly improving, then consider waiting a full year. 

Implant revision

+1

I have to concur with everybody on this post.  If enough of us say it you will believe it:-) Time is on your side.  Keep massaging to manipulate that breast capsule and see if it doesn't drop.  A revision may be in your future but it is way too early to jump to that conclusion.  When the implant is down it should help round things out.  Good luck!

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Way too soon

+1

Three months is way too soon - so please stoop worrying-between 6 mos-to one year is when issues usually declare themselves.  At that point I would consult with your physician and make a plan if revision or not is necessary

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Wait on revision

+1

Be patient for at least six months.   It is not unusual for the implants to achieve a more natural position at around this time, sometimes even later.   At a year, if you are still unhappy and your physician agrees that the implant position is high, that would be a good point for a small revision.   Remember, that no two breasts will ever be perfectly symmetric.