Would Breast Augmentation Reduce the Appearance of my Very Prominent Axillary Armpit Tissue or is Removal my Only Option? (photo

I have had breast tissue under my left arm since puberty. After my breast got smaller from breastfeeding, the underarm tissue looks more separated from my breast since there is a more hollow area on my breasts that used to be fuller before breast feeding. Would my augmentation conceal the appearance of this extra tissue? My PS charges an additional $2500 for removal. Would fuller breasts diminish the appearance of it or is removal is my only option? It is painful too with hormone changes. Thanks

Axillary breast tissue--??less noticeable with augmentation

+2

The history you offer--that the breasts are smaller since nursing, and the axillary tissue is more noticeable suggests that restoring the volume will make it less noticeable. An augmentation will not, obviously, make the axillary tissue go away, but is likely to make it less noticeable. Removal will make it go away, but depending upon your skin tone, you may still have excess and perhaps sagging skin. This too can be removed but would leave a scar at the incision site. 

As you can see in your photos, this tissue is almost always more noticeable in a bra than it is without a bra. 

Good luck.

Axillary Breast Tissue Removal

+1

Dear Cecy,

Thank you for sharing your photos depicting the axillary breast tissue pretty well.

Having breast augmentation will not make your problem disappear but rather less noticeable for sure.

Also, considering a trans-axillary breast augmentation could allow your surgeon to address the axillary tissue easily.

I encourage you to seek consultations with several BOARD CERTIFIED surgeons of extensive experience who can guide you to make a well informed decision.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Axillary Breast Tissue

+1

Implants will have little impact on that tissue. It is most likely axillary breast tissue and can be easily removed with liposuction at the time of your augmentation.

Dr. Kearney

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Axillary breast tissue

+1

Many female patients have additional breast tissue  in their axillary area.  The removal usually requires both breast tissue and skin removal.  There is a resultan scar.  The augmentation will lessen the appearence but not mask it completely.  Good luck to you.

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Excess skin and tissue in your armpit that hangs out from your bra

+1

does occur often.  If your surgeon charges $2500 to remove this, I would suggest you find another surgeon who can do this for you at less expense.  This is a procedure that should be able to be done in the office under local anesthetic, saving you a considerable amount as well.  Please understand some residuals may remain and you should be aware of what your surgeon's revision policy is in order to allow you to pursue the best possible result.

If you're okay with how it is when you are undressed, consider getting fitted for better brassieres that will contain you rather than push your tissue outside of the cup.

If you're simply desiring to be larger, an implant should help camouflage the excess that you see but your brassiere could still push the tissue out, making it more noticeable.

Talk to your surgeon about your concerns and desires and pick the best plan that suits you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Axillary breasts

+1

Good question.  I certainly see what you are referring to in the photos you sent.  Getting breast implants will probably make the auxiliary breast tissue look less noticeable.  I have seen axillary breasts much larger than yours, and I do not think it is worthwhile having it removed, especially if cost is a concern.  Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Would Breast Augmentation Reduce the Appearance of my Very Prominent Axillary Armpit Tissue or is Removal my Only Option?

+1

We do see axillary breast tissue quite commonly.

Breast augmentation will soften the visual separation between the breast and the axillary region.

I nearly always recommend leaving the axillary tissue alone, as removal may be incomplete and you may be left with unsightly scars and loose skin.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and removal of Accessory Axillary Breast Tissue

+1

The accessory axillary breast tissue probably will not be concealed by a breast augmentation alone.  However, this extra tissue could be removed at the same time as your breast augmentation.  If the augmentation is done via an axillary incision it should be relatively easy to remove this extra breast tissue at the same time as the breast augmentation.  In my practice, if the tissue removal is is performed along with an augmentation the additional charge usually is between $1,000 and $1,500.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Axillary tissue and breast augmentation.

+1

I concur with the other surgeons in that a breast augmentation will make the axillary fullness less prominent, but it will still remain. Having the breast aug and some liposuction should help this nicely.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Axillary breast tissue

+1

If you have axillary breast tissue, it will only go away with surgery to remove it.  An augmentation will not hide it.