Breast Augmentation Recovery?

I am a runner and a weight lifter. Upper body I lift about 30lbs and lower body much more. How long is recovery time before I can go back to my usual routine ?

Restrictions after breast augmentation will be delineated by the plastic surgeon.

+2

In my practice, I allow patients to return to full athletic activity in four weeks. You should follow the guidelines of your particular plastic surgeon.

Breast Augmentation Recovery?

+2

Specific questions like this are best addressed to your surgeon. 

I usually allow by patients to jog at two weeks, but limit weight lifting until 3 months. Serious weight lifters should consider carefully the pros and cons of above the muscle implants. Strong pectoral muscles will continually put lateral forces on the implants, and displacement is not an uncommon complaint.

All the best. 

Breast Augmentation Recovery

+2

There could be different answers for your question since doctors don't think all the same  and implant location is determining  .

If your implants are placed under the muscle you should probably wait at least 12 weeks to start your upper body routine .

If they are placed above the muscle you can probably start running and exercising at 6-8 weeks . 

Don't forget your support bras !

Best wishes 

Katherine Feliz Camilo, MD

Exercise after surgery

+1
This is what I generally recommend to my patients:

After three days, you can start normal non-strenuous activities. No exercise, but you can leisurely walk around. After three weeks, you can start lower body training and light cardio workouts. Avoid impact-based exercises for at least four weeks.

At six weeks you can start upper body strength training, but make sure to start off slowly. Don't be jerky in your movement at first.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast augmentation recovery?

+1
Thank you for your question! This answer will vary amongst each surgeon, and it is wisest to discuss this with your plastic surgeon. In my practice, utilizing the fast track technique after breast augmentations, women are readily able and doing most things virtually immediately after this procedure. She is even recommended to go out for dinner that evening. However, follow your surgeon's instructions for postoperative care and restrictions, but it is common for most women to resume many of the preoperative activities and duties within a week. I typically restrict heavy lifting and vigorous exercise for approximately 4-6 weeks Swelling and settling of the implant typically occurs over a 6-12 week period, while your incisions commonly resolve to its final appearance in up to a year. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a great result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

BBA

+1

It really depends on a few factors. Adequate pain control is likely the most important. Individual pain tolerance differs greatly. I find that women who have had children generally have less post-op pain, as they have a much higher pain tolerance. From a surgical point of view, there are several things the surgeon/anaesthesiologist can do to decrease your post-op pain.

I generally perform breast blocks prior to making any incisions with a mix of short- and long-acting local anaesthetics. I have found this greatly reduces post-op pain. I also encourage patients to take the prescribed pain killers regularly every 4 hours especially for the first 24-48 hours. If you don't stay on top of the pain in the immediate post-operative period, it is extremely difficult to "catch-up". Most of my patients experience very little post-op pain after breast augmentation.

Of course, the type of augmentation you have will also determine your post-operative discomfort. Larger implants, and subpectoral implant placement will also increase post-op discomfort. This doesn't mean you shouldn't get large implants, or place them under the muscle - you simply need to know what to expect. Many women also experience difficulty with sleeping in the first few weeks after augmentation due to the weight of the implants on their chest. This is more significant in back-sleepers.

To answer your question about time off work, my experience has been that there is a huge range. I have patients that go back to work the next day (against my advice), and I have had patients take as much as 2 weeks off of work. It really depends on what you do for work, and how you feel. As for taking care of your kids, if your implant is placed under the muscle, it will be a few weeks before you feel comfortable enough to pick them up.

As for scars, I tell patients it will take a year to see the absolute final result. Practically, however, by 3-6 months the scar will be very close to the final result. I suggest 3M paper taping, and have a specific scar massage protocol I use to help speed scar resolution.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Recovery after an augmentation

+1

It really varies according to what was done.  But in general, when my patients have augmentations under the muscle, they can resume most activities by 3 weeks BUT they are not supposed to strengthen their chest muscles ever (toning is okay).  Jogging is usually okay to start at 3 weeks.  You can certainly do non-bouncy activities such as ellipticals and stairsteppers sooner.  Bottom line, all surgeons have their own protocols and their own reasoning behind their choices.  Follow the advice of your surgeon since you chose him/her to do your procedure and that takes a lot of trust.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Augmentation Recovery

+1

I recommend my own patients to wait six weeks before lifting weights. I also recommend avoiding exercise or weights which use the pectoralis muscles for many months after surgery.. The implants will move more laterally if you do a lot of push ups or bench press.

Michael Horn, MD