Advice For Breast Augmentation Recovery- Vacation Scheduled 2 Weeks Post Op

I am getting my breasts done on Dec 14th and my family is going on vacation Dec 30th. Assuming everything is normal and okay is it safe to go on vacation, and does anyone have any advice? Thank you so much!

Recovery After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Please consult with your board-certified surgeon regarding your travels. It is important to keep an open line of communication with your surgeon and their staff. Enjoy your trip!

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Going on vacation 2 weeks after breast augmentation

Going on a trip after 2 weeks sound reasonable providing the recovery is uneventful.  However, a lot of your decision should be based on the level of activity you anticipate during the vacation.  Be sure you abide by your surgeon's post-operative instructions whether you go on vacation or not. 

Vacation and recovery from breast augmentation

I don't see any reason you can't go on vacation provided that you recovery is progressing smoothly. Ask you surgeon specifically if it is okay.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Vacation 2 weeks after breast augmentation.

If your surgery goes well:

• No heavy lifting.
  • No reaching up to the overhead bin.
  • No extreme sports.
  • No visits to the gym.
  • Walking of the beach and floating around in the pool okay.
  • Read a good book and for heaven's sake, relax and take it easy for once!

Make sure you are going somewhere where good medical care is available.  I once had a patient "pop" a vessel and have a major bleed 4 weeks after an uneventful augmentation.  She needed surgery in the middle of the night.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Vacation 2 weeks after Breast Augmentation

Hi there-

Travel should be okay 2 weeks after surgery- but it's really what you DO on your trip that would be the concern, right?

In other words, going on the trip should be okay, as long as you don't do anything on the trip (or along the way) that violates your surgeon's postoperative instructions.

Vacation after a breast augmentation

Provided that you are healing well without complication, going on a vacation a little over 2 weeks after your breast augmentation should be OK. You still will have restrictions in your activities which your surgeon should enumerate for you - and you need to follow them precisely - for if you have a problem, that will be a big problem being on vacation (though it depends on where you are going). You should also take some precautions while flying to help minimize the risk of developing clots in your legs and lungs.

I usually recommend to my patients to avoid strenuous activities for 3 weeks following breast augmentation surgery and this approach has served my patients very well over the years. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Post op travel

I am the contrarian here. If you are doing well, it is perfectly safe to go on vacation. However, if you are having any problems with the implants, it would be better to be close to home---and to your plastic surgeon. If you do go on vacation, remember to ask for help and not to lift anything into the overhead compartments! It's also important not to sunburn on your chest as the skin will be quite sensitive and suspectible to burning.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Travel after breast augmentation

As long as your recovery goes well, you should be fine to travel 2 weeks after breast augmentation. For a month after breast augmentation I ask my patients to avoid heavy lifting and exertion, so take it easy. Hydrate too!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Vacation and breast augmentation

In most cases, by two weeks you should be able to go on vacation as long as you take it easy and do not do anything in terms of exertion. I would not lift suitcases, etc.. But every once in a while a patient can have a complication and not be ready to go on vacation at two weeks

Vacation advice after breast augmentation

The best advice is go to relax and sun. Keep the schedule managable, and if in doubt don't.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com