Breast Augmentation Recovery Within 3 Days?

I'm thinking about having another breast augmentation. If I do surgery on Friday, can I go back to work on Monday?

Recovery from breast augmentation

+2

3 days of recovery is not much.  over the muscle insertion will be more comfortable in the first few days.

if your work is not physical, you won t create and injury  but you just might not feel good enough to do your job.

BBA Recovery

+2

It is important to allow your body to rest and heal. My patients are required to take one week off of work.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+2

Breast augmentattion recovery usually takes more than three days to recover.  Depending on the location of the breast implant and overall pain threshold of each patient, the recovery is 1-2 weeks

Christopher K. Livingston, MD

Recovery after a breast augmentation

+2

Going back to work 3 days after a breast augmentation can be done depending on the intensity of your job. I would recommend avoiding any heavy lifting for 2 weeks, but if you do mostly computer work, for example, this would be fine. Considering it's your second augmentation, the pain will most likely be a lot less. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Back to work in 24 to 48 hours from a breast augmentation

+2

#1 Most of my patients (95%) never take pain meds for this operation. We are able to make this happen by putting in a large amount of long lasting local anesthesia at the end of the surgery.

#2 Most patients are capable of returning to a desk job in 24 to 48 hours, however for an initial first time case, I typically recommend surgery on a Wednesday, to allow a long weekend and then return to work on Monday.

#3 In an implant exchange, which is what I assume you are having, the return to work time should be no more than 24 to 48 hours.

Each patient, and each situation is different and all of this is subject to change. Discuss your concerns with your physician.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Redo Breast augmentation recovery within 3 days?

+2

Depends on 2 factors: The extent of surgery and the type of work you do.

If the surgery entailed a lot of dissection or taking an old capsule out, the recovery may be longer, although not as long as the first procedure. If it is just a simple replacement of implants with minimal or no dissection, the only concern is the incision, and that usually is not a big concern.

If you have a sedentary occupation and minimal dissection, 3 days may be enough. If, however, you have a very physically demanding occupation, you might want to wait out a few days to avoid unnecessary trauma to the incision.

A quicker recovery is also helped by the right kind of anesthesia. see link below about the use of sedation only for breast augmentation.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Breast augmentation recovery

+2

The vast majority of patients can recover from breast augmentation within three days, provided their work doesn't involve heavy lifting. Most patients who do office work for example, and have surgery on a Friday can return to work by Monday as they are usually off the narcotic pain medication within 72 hours. There are exceptions to this of course and some patients may need a few additional days of pain medication before they feel comfortable returning to work.

Strenuous activity or heavy lifting should be avoided for about 4-6 weeks after surgery.

William Bruno, MD

Breast Augmentation Recovery in 3 days?

+1
Dear Tampa Girl,
Thank you for your post. There are a lot of variables to account for after breast augmentation and what to expect in the recovery process. Done well, breast augmentation can have a very long lasting beautiful result. The following is an outline of what to expect after augmentation based on some of these variables.  In general, since you are having a repeat breast augmentation, presumably to go larger, your recovery period is very short, even shorter than that of an above the muscle augmentation.  If this is an augmentation into a new plane, however, then it is like a new breast augmentation:

1. Pain: In general, breast augmentation is tolerated very well. When the implant is placed sub-facial or sub-glandular, i.e. above the muscle, there is very little pain post-operative. The muscle is left in place and in general, when I perform this technique, women have surgery on Friday, and are back to work (as long as they are not lifting heavy objects) on Monday. When the implant is placed sub-muscular, then there more pain and soreness as the muscle has been elevated which is similiar to having a pulled or torn muscle. This creates more swelling and takes longer to heal. In these case, most women take at least a week off of work.

2. Swelling and Size: It is very common to be about a size bigger right after surgery than what your final result will be. Swelling starts to occur right after surgery and tends to peak in the first week. After about a month you will have lost most of the swelling, but still not completely at baseline. After about another 3 months or so, you will have lost 99% of your swelling, but still have a pretty good idea of your final size at 1 month. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on bras until 3 months though, as they might not fit perfectly after all the swelling goes away. Also, the more activity you have, the longer the swelling stays, the more that needs to be done as far as lift etc. with surgery, the longer your swelling stays. As stated above, going below the muscle tends to produce more swelling and lasts for longer.

3. Scars: The natural healing process undergoes multiple phases, but in general, the first phase is the inflamatory phase were any scar will be firmer and may turn red or darker initially. This tends to last for 3 months. After this phase is the resolution phase where the scar inflammation goes away and all scars will be at their baseline at 1 year. The scars are mostly at their baseline at 6 months. The scars should be minimal if placed well, and sutured properly. I also like to protect the scars from stretching or widening in the first few months with surgical skin tape. The incision will be weak at first and susceptible to stretch or widening.

4. Massage: Your doctor may recommend early or late massage, depending on what is trying to be accomplished. In general, early massage is to manipulate a high implant or stretch a constricted area, such as in tubular breast syndrome, and late massage is to help fight capsular contraction. Search 'Breast Massage' to find my recommendations on this.

5. Exercise: In general, I ask my patients to keep away from aerobic activities in the first 2 weeks following surgery. Increased activity can increase swelling and hyper-swelling can cause stretch marks. Following this, 'non-bouncing' aerobic activity is fine, such as speed walking or cycling, but would like to keep the implants from moving too much until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal and become stronger. At 6 weeks, I clear any type of activity.

6. Infection: Infection after augmentation is very rare. Most surgeon give post-operative antibiotics to help protect you from infection.

7. Hematoma/Seroma: These are also very rare after augmentation. If the pocket for the implant that is made during surgery is a hand in glove fit, then there is very little room for any fluid to collect. It is important that the surgical pocket be free of any bleeding prior to closure to keep a hematoma from happening. If a hematoma does occur, it is important to drain the hematoma to prevent capsular contraction.

8. Sleeping: I ask women to sleep on their backs with their post-operative bra on after surgery to keep the implants in their proper position until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal.

I hope this has answered most of your post-operative questions.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Possibly Too Soon To Go Back To Work Following Breast Augmentation

+1
I usually recommend going back to work after about 5 days following breast augmentation, however it really depends on how you usually recover and your overall health. Please ask your surgeon for their advice.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast augmentation recovery within 3 days?

+1
Thank you for your question! This answer will vary amongst each surgeon, and it is wisest to discuss this with your plastic surgeon. In my practice, utilizing the fast track technique after breast augmentations, women are readily able and doing most things virtually immediately after this procedure. She is even recommended to go out for dinner that evening. However, follow your surgeon's instructions for postoperative care and restrictions, but it is common for most women to resume many of the preoperative activities and duties within a week.  It is not uncommon for my patients to return to work after a weekend, such as you state.  Hope that this helps!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD