Breast Augmentation Recommendations for Appropriate Size & Profile

Scheduled for a BA - April 28,2011. My PS recommends a Mentor,smooth,300cc HP or 275 cc Mod+. I feel this is smaller for my body type than I was expecting(from my research in what I have seen from other ladies of my stature averaging 350-375cc's).

I am 5'8 1/2" tall, 130lbs, 30" ribcage, 34 AA, 16 cm sternum to aerola, 18cm sternum to nipple, 5cm nipple to breast crease, BWD - 11.7cm. Looking for opinions on an appropriate size as hoping for a bit bigger(~375cc max). Is this possible for me?

Selection of breast implant size and profile

+3

With a breast base width of 11.7cm, the Mentor 275cc Mod PLUS gel implant (implant diameter 11.7cm) should fit your chest wall well.  The 350cc HP implant has the same implant diameter and should fit, however your surgeon may be concerned about other factors, such as tissue coverage, nipple position, post-operative appearance, etc.

I would strongly recommend that you discuss your desires / concerns with your surgeon again prior to the day of surgery, so that you are both working toward achieving the same outcome.

Good luck.

Breast augmentation sizing

+2

You are very tall, so long as your skin would stretch you could go even larger than the 375 if you wanted. Maybe that's the cc amount  he recommended for the cup size you asked for. I mean honestly how could a surgeon recommend a size without asking you for some input on how large you want to go. Do you want to be a c cup or a b cup etc. Of course , there are some limitations with breast diameter but those measurements are really somewhat arbitrary. One person may measure 11.7 and the other 12.7 depending on where you think the breast starts and ends. Just know that with larger implants there are potentially more problems with shifting , rippling etc. But 375 is a pretty average sized implant especially for your height.

David E. Kim, MD

Breast implant size and breast augmentation

+2

In looking at your photo and given your size, I believe a breast implant size of 350 to 375 cc is not unreasonable for your breast augmentation.  I usually have my patients try the various size implants on in a bra to see what size they may like.  However, I counsel my patients that the breasts will look slightly smaller after the surgery when the implants are under the breast tissue, than they look before the surgery when they are above the breast .  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants - What Size Should I Get? 275, 300...or 375?

+2

Hi Mommaof3 in Saskatchewan,

The answer is - maybe!  You should indicate to your surgeon what you'd like to accomplish and make sure that you're on the same page about that...and then leave it to him or her to make that decision intraoperatively.  It looks to me like this size implant might be able to fit in you - but it also may wind up looking more "implanty" than you would like.  In general, the larger the implant you choose, the more likely it will have that "implanty" look.

On the other hand, you should get the size you want as long as the surgeon feels that it's appropriate for you at the time of the surgery.  And it's not always 100% clear what will fit, what won't, how it will heal, etc.  If you're having an inframammary incision, for example, a larger implant will put more tension on the exact spot of the incision, and may affect the healing.  And so on.

So, make sure you've indicated to your PS what you'd like, and then go with what he or she feels will fit you best at the time of the surgery.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Recommendation of implant size

+2

I certainly think it would be possible to get a larger implant in your chest, but you also need to express you goals.  Are you trying to fill out your clothes a bit, or are you looking to be the next Pamela Anderson?  I have no doubt that 375 implants would fit in you chest, but as you get larger implants, you will have a less natural look.  This is the balance that you need to talk about with your surgeon.

You are thin and do not have much tissue covering the upper portion of you chest wall.  Implants in you chest will likely be more visible than in the average person.  In short, if you want a more natural look, go with the smaller implants.  If you want bigger at the expense of less natural, tell your surgeon this.

Good Luck

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant size selection

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast Augmentation Sizing

+1

Your pictures and breast measurements suggest if you would like to have fuller breasts, a 350 cc high profile silicone gel breast implant would reasonable and may provide you with the look you desire. You should discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon and view some before and after pictures in order to communicate what you wish to achieve from your surgery.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast width dimension is a good guide

+1

Your BWD of 11.7cm has you as a suitable candidate for multiple sizes and projections from base width to 11.5 to 12.5.  I would suggest your review with your surgeon the various size and projection options with those base widths to come to a  implant with your goals in mind.

Chen Lee, MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon