Breast Augmentation - Do I Need a Lift?

I am 22 years old and stand at 5'7", 125lbs. What procedures would you reccommend for me in order to obtain the results below (last two photos)? I was a 34-C cup prior to having my first child and after having the second I dropped to a 34-B, which is my current size. I am at my pre-pregnancy weight. Would I need a lift to reposition my nipple in the middle of my breasts or will an augmentation do that alone? Thank you:)

There is an easy test to see if you need a lift.

+4

When I examine someone to determine if they need a lift with their augmentation, i do a special maneuver during the exam.  I lift the breast up, so as to see the crease beneath.  Then I place one finger in the crease and allow the breast to drop over it.  If the nipple resides beneath my "crease finger", we need to lift.  It not, it is possible to achieve a good result with an augmentation alone, as long as the size implant selected is large enough to take up the loose skin

Try BA only first, then lift only if necessary

+3

It is impossible to know with certainty based on the information provided whether a mastopexy is for you.  I would consider BA first.  If you are happy, then you are done.  If after the augmentation, you still think your nipple is too low (or perhaps with stretch your areola is too large for you), then you could consider a lift, either around the areola only, or a lollipop scar type lift, whatever is necessary.

You can't get into trouble for something you don't do.  The scar is permanent. 

Craig N. Creasman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation- Do I need a Breast Lift, also?

+2

There is a misconception about the lifting effects of breast augmentation. although breast augmentation make the breasts purkier they do not lift breasts. Therefore, if your breasts sag as a result of pregnancy or aging then you might have to consider a breast lift along with breast implants in order to get a more natural and youthful result.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I actually think you could get a away with a breast augmentation alone, this may not be as perky as possible but it will minimze your scars

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Do I need a lift?

+1
There is no simple answer to your question. However, the good news is that, with only seeing your photos, I don't think you really need a lift. You have nice shape and symmetry with well placed nipples. Your main problem is volume loss and this is easily treated with an appropriately sized implant. To get the look you want, you need to be evaluated, and sized by a board certified plastic surgeon. At our office, we use 3D sizing software to help you see yourself in a new size. The girls in the pictures you have selected have no loose skin or volume loss and therefore have the "perfect" shape that you obviously like.
 Realistically, you will not have this circular, tight look because you have redundant skin and volume loss, but with a full sized high profile implant you will look great. I would sway you to consider silicone gel implants and try on sizes to help determine the best size for you. I think that somewhere around 400cc or more would likely give you the size you are looking for but every "body" is different. Hope this helps, good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug with lift?

+1

I think you will be okay with a breast aug alone. You can always do a lift at another time and lose nothing. There are many factors which cannot be evaluated from photos alone: Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present. Based on the limited information you have given you would be a great candidate. In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

When is a Lift needed for Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear ashhull - it depends on many factors the most important of which is what type of result you are looking for.  From the photos I would probably not recommend a lift for you but put in some rather substantial implants, which at your height would be well tolerated and look very proportional.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Breast Augmentation with uplift

+1

Dear Ashhull - thank you for posting your Q and photos.  I do not think you will need an uplift.  Your Plastic surgeon will need to assess your measurements to select the right size implant and projection to fill out your deflated breasts.  2 important measurements are critical to deciding if a lift is necessary - 1. the distance from the nipple to the crease, 2 the thickness of breast tissue under the areola.  This will determine if a moderate or high projection implant will adequately lift your nipple to the desired result.  Hope that this is helpful.  Good luck.

Christopher J. Inglefield, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

+1

Its helpful to look at a photo but seeing you in person and being able to measure your chest wall and breasts is best.  You may need to have some skin removed or tightened in order to achieve the results you want. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Aug vs Pexy

+1

Based on your photos, you would be a good candidate for an augmentation alone, however, it would not center your nipple like the third photo you submitted.  However, the procedure could be performed through an armpit incision leaving no scar on your breast. On the other hand, if you absolutely wanted your nipple higher, a lift and an augmentation could be performed. The key is choosing the correct procedure is balancing your desire for a certain look and what resultant scars would be left. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon