Breast Augmentation - Do I Need a Lift?

I am 22 years old and stand at 5'7", 125lbs. What procedures would you reccommend for me in order to obtain the results below (last two photos)? I was a 34-C cup prior to having my first child and after having the second I dropped to a 34-B, which is my current size. I am at my pre-pregnancy weight. Would I need a lift to reposition my nipple in the middle of my breasts or will an augmentation do that alone? Thank you:)

There is an easy test to see if you need a lift.

+4

When I examine someone to determine if they need a lift with their augmentation, i do a special maneuver during the exam.  I lift the breast up, so as to see the crease beneath.  Then I place one finger in the crease and allow the breast to drop over it.  If the nipple resides beneath my "crease finger", we need to lift.  It not, it is possible to achieve a good result with an augmentation alone, as long as the size implant selected is large enough to take up the loose skin

Try BA only first, then lift only if necessary

+3

It is impossible to know with certainty based on the information provided whether a mastopexy is for you.  I would consider BA first.  If you are happy, then you are done.  If after the augmentation, you still think your nipple is too low (or perhaps with stretch your areola is too large for you), then you could consider a lift, either around the areola only, or a lollipop scar type lift, whatever is necessary.

You can't get into trouble for something you don't do.  The scar is permanent. 

Craig N. Creasman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation- Do I need a Breast Lift, also?

+2

There is a misconception about the lifting effects of breast augmentation. although breast augmentation make the breasts purkier they do not lift breasts. Therefore, if your breasts sag as a result of pregnancy or aging then you might have to consider a breast lift along with breast implants in order to get a more natural and youthful result.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Lift with implants only

+1
95% of my patients who have been properly selected for breast augmentation without a lift to address sagging are satisfied with the amount of lift they achieve with implants. The right implants and technique can help you address mild to moderate sagging with breast augmentation alone, by taking into account the size you'd like to be and the amount of lift you require during the pre-surgery planning process.

These three things are considered to help give you the extra lift you require to make your breasts “perkier” without mastopexy:

1) During your breast augmentation, the breast implants will be placed directly under the breast tissue and above the chest wall muscle (in the sub-mammary position).

2) The best breast implants to use for a perkier result contain silicone gel that is more cohesive, such as the Allergan Inspira Truform 2 (formerly known as Soft-Touch gel). These implants are slightly firmer to maintain their shape better, but still retain their natural feel.

3) The shape of your breast implants should have more, rather than less, projection. Breast implants with a smaller base width will make your breasts project more forward from your chest wall and body, creating a more prominent contour. “Profile” is a synonym for projection, therefore look for high profile implants.

Generally speaking, larger breast implants can also help give a better lift, sometimes raising the position of the nipple by one or two centimetres.

Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to find out whether you are a suitable candidate. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I actually think you could get a away with a breast augmentation alone, this may not be as perky as possible but it will minimze your scars

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Do I need a lift?

+1
There is no simple answer to your question. However, the good news is that, with only seeing your photos, I don't think you really need a lift. You have nice shape and symmetry with well placed nipples. Your main problem is volume loss and this is easily treated with an appropriately sized implant. To get the look you want, you need to be evaluated, and sized by a board certified plastic surgeon. At our office, we use 3D sizing software to help you see yourself in a new size. The girls in the pictures you have selected have no loose skin or volume loss and therefore have the "perfect" shape that you obviously like.
 Realistically, you will not have this circular, tight look because you have redundant skin and volume loss, but with a full sized high profile implant you will look great. I would sway you to consider silicone gel implants and try on sizes to help determine the best size for you. I think that somewhere around 400cc or more would likely give you the size you are looking for but every "body" is different. Hope this helps, good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug with lift?

+1

I think you will be okay with a breast aug alone. You can always do a lift at another time and lose nothing. There are many factors which cannot be evaluated from photos alone: Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present. Based on the limited information you have given you would be a great candidate. In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

When is a Lift needed for Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear ashhull - it depends on many factors the most important of which is what type of result you are looking for.  From the photos I would probably not recommend a lift for you but put in some rather substantial implants, which at your height would be well tolerated and look very proportional.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Breast Augmentation with uplift

+1

Dear Ashhull - thank you for posting your Q and photos.  I do not think you will need an uplift.  Your Plastic surgeon will need to assess your measurements to select the right size implant and projection to fill out your deflated breasts.  2 important measurements are critical to deciding if a lift is necessary - 1. the distance from the nipple to the crease, 2 the thickness of breast tissue under the areola.  This will determine if a moderate or high projection implant will adequately lift your nipple to the desired result.  Hope that this is helpful.  Good luck.

Christopher J. Inglefield, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

+1

Its helpful to look at a photo but seeing you in person and being able to measure your chest wall and breasts is best.  You may need to have some skin removed or tightened in order to achieve the results you want. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon