Will Breast Augmentation Help Decrease Puffy Nipples? (photo)

I have always hated my breasts, they never filled out like most womens, and look pre pubescent. I am getting 325 CCs in a few weeks and wanted to know if my nipples will stop pointing out like they do now. Does extra breast tissue help?

Breast Augmentation for Puffy Nipples

+2

Protruding or "puffy" nipples may be a result of long, large nipples, or, as in your case, slight herniation of the breast tissue into the areola. This is a sign of Tuberous Breast Syndrome, in which the breast envelope itself is somewhat constricted, especially inferiorly, and the breast tissue then protrudes throught the thinner areola. Breast augmentation is generally quite effective in treating this condition. It is important that your surgeon understand the anatomy involved. For minor cases, augmentation alone may work. For more advanced cases, the lower pole must be scored and released. This is one of the situations in which subglandular implants may be preferred. If the areolas are stretched, reduction of the areola will be required as well. It will take several months to see the final results.

Please make sure that your plastic surgeon understands the components of your condition, and can provide and operative plan that addresses the issues involved in a clear and informed fashion:

1. Increasing the breast size

2. Freeing constriction of the lower pole

3. Planning the appropriate plane for your implants

4.  Addressing the need for areola reduction. 

Breast augmentation and puffy nipples

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos. A breast augmentation will make the breasts that you have bigger.  Some adjustments can be done at the time of surgery to make some improvement but it will not likely change the direction that your nipples point. 

In the short term, your nipples may become more puffy. But once the implants have stretched your breast tissue, they should come back down in time as the swelling goes away.

Overall, it look like you have a great chance of getting a good result and will probably be very happy.  Discuss your expectations specifically with your plastic surgeon so that you know what can and can't be done.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tuberous breasts

+1

Your pictures demonstrate that you have mild tuberous breast deformity.    The augmentation should help but my guess is some of it will remain.  Good luck.                                 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Puffy Nipples and Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Your breasts demonstrate characteristics of constricted or tuberous breasts. These characteristics include relatively “puffy” nipple/areola complexes, short/tight distance from areola to inframammary fold, and relative lateral takeoff of the medial inframammary fold areas, and a relative wide distance between the breasts.

Breast augmentation should help improve many of these “characteristics”;  for example, is very likely that you will have more volume in the cleavage area as well as in the lower poles of the breasts. However, the “puffy nipple” situation will not necessarily be improved with breast augmentation surgery.

To improve this situation would require additional surgery,  including possible circumareolar  reduction and/or excision of some breast glandular tissue. Whether or not you should have this added to your planned procedure will depend on how much the “puffy” nipple/areola concern you and only after you consider the pros/cons of this additional surgery.

You may find the link  attached helpful.