Is Under or Over Muscle Best For And Active Person?

Hi I am a bit confused as to whether to get the breast implants under or over the muscles, i am very active, do alot of weight lifting and cardio. But I am very concerned whether going under the muscle is going to limit the yoga postures i can do as I am an instructor. I've spoken to 3 surgeons and 2 said to go under and 1 said to go over. But I've been reading forums and some women said that going under has limited the things they can do w weight lifting and yoga. Im really concerned, pls HELP

Implant placement and chances of capsular contracture

+4

It often times depends on the pre-op breast size. When the implant is placed above the muscle, the skin is the support. If someone has smaller breasts, there is less soft tissue coverage of the implant and more visibility of rippling. However, when the implant is place under the muscle, the muscle and skin can support the implant. There may be less strength in the chest muscle if you go under the muscle, but if you go over the muscle, over time the skin thins out and there is less coverage of the implant. It's also best to go under the muscle for less chance of capsular contracture.

Behind the muscle or infront of the muscle augmentation

+3

This is a great question, and it is often answered in many ways. I see alot of competetive fitness and body building competetors in my practice. Most, at consult, ask to have subglandular placement for their implants. On the surface, short term, it seems to be a great idea...less pain, less recovery, can give illusion of better nipple placement, back to the gym more quickly. But what happens in a few years, when your skin is not able to support your implant, or you get capsular contracture or both. Are you will to risk a return to surgery for a (usually) full lift just so you can continue to do yoga? And I'll tell you, that alot of my patience cintinue these activities, just not as quickly as they would like. The benefits of subglandular placement are very, very few. 

Best of luck as you make your decision...

Thomas B. Lintner, MD, FACS

Placement of implants

+2

Some doctors may recommend placing an implant under the muscle if a patient is thin and if she prefers saline implants.  Great results can be achieved when using a moderate sized silicone implant and placing it over the muscle. This may work best for you since you are very active.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation in the Active Patient

+2

Whether to go above or below the muscle in a physically active patient is a common scenario in my practice, and there are advantages and disadvantages to each approach.  Although going below the muscle is my usual preference, you must be prepared for "tethering" of the implant when the pectoral muscle is in use.  Going above the muscle increases your risk of visible implant rippling.  So you as the patient need to consider these two risks and choose the approach which best suits your goals.

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Above or Below the Muscle Breast Implants

+1

Implants placed above or below the muscle really can be a personal choice. The incidence of capsular contracture is somewhat higher if placed above the muscle especially if you are so active. In most patients, it does look better if placed subpectorally unless you are a competitive body builder.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Breast Implant Under or Over Muscle for Active Person

+1

I do not think placing Breast Implants under the muscle will limit your ability to lift weights, do Yoga etc.

However, the muscle will tighten around the implant and cause motion of the implant which can be visible especially in a Bikini or tight clothing. If this will bother you then consider having a Sub glandular Breast Augmentation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS