Is It Possible to Have a Breast Augmentation with Pigeons Chest? (photo)

I am 20 years old, 5'8 and 113lbs and I hate to say I'm completely flat chested. I'd say I barely fit a 32AA it's rather embarrassing for me to say. I was told around the age 12 that I have pigeons chest and there's nothing I could do to fix it because my insurance won't cover the cost of surgery. As I aged I've notice that the right side of my sternum began to progress in growing outward but my left side is completely normal. On top of that I dont have much tissue to work with. Is it possible?

Breast Augmentation In Pigeon's Chest Deformity

+3

You will do very well with breast augmentation surgery and much, if not all, of your sternal deformity will be obscured by the breast implants. I have done numerous similar cases and am always amazed how the pectus deformity is largely 'resolved' by enlarging the breast mounds. Given your thin skin and little breast tissue, choose highly cohesive silicone gel implants placed in a submuscular position to get the most natural result that has a low risk of significant implant rippling.

Breast augmentation and chest wall deformities

+2

You do have many anatomic and skeletal abnormalities that will make breast augmentation a challenge but not impossible.  In addition to your pectus deformity you may also have some degree of scoliosis this can present itself with one side of the rib cage projecting more than the other.  You also have very thin breast tissue and skin covering over your chest.  A submuscular breast augmentation using either a round implant or a contoured shaped implant will improve your breast contour and make you relatively even but you will always have some degree of asymmetry.  

Breast augmenation in individual with a pectus excavatum or pectus carinatum

+2

You display a central concavity in the lower sternum with a slight protrusion on the right side of the chest.  This is a combination of a pectus excavatum with protrusion of the ribs.  A breast augmenation is possible with this situation.  In fact breast implants will hide the deformity since it is sitting on top of the deformity.  You are very thin and I would advise not to go too large as your tissues willl stretch and thin more.  Very thin tissue will not hide some flaws in the implants and may show rippling with larger implants.  Certain implants may be a better choice for you.  For example the high profile saliine implants Mentor makes will have much less rippling than the moderate profile.  If it is silicone implants you desire Mentor Moderate Plus or Sientras Moderate implants will tend to have less potential for rippling than others.  Of course placing the implants in a subpectoral position is a must with your thin tissue to avoid excessive rippling after surgery.

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation

+1

You will do very well with the breast augmentation. Although the implants will do little to correct the depression the overall improvement will be well worth the effort

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

You could definitely have a nice result with breast augmentation!

+1

You are a candidate for breast augmentation. Even though you are under 22 years old, you may qualify for a silicone implant which is better for patients with little breast tissue. A good clinical exam would be necessary to determine implant size and help to plan surgery. Good luck!

David Rankin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Pectus Excavatum and Breast Implants

+1

I have placed implants in many women with varying degrees of pectus excavatum.  Although the pectus condition does affect final symmetry it rarely precludes placement of implants.

Small degree of chest wall irregularity

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  We all have some degree of chest wall irregularity if we really look closely.  The amount of chest wall irregularity that you exhibit is relatively mild.  Breast augmentation with silicone breast implants placed in the dual-plane sub-muscular position can result in a very nice result for your breast size, breast shape, and overall chest appearance.  You will have to spend some time and define what you would like to accomplish for yourself in terms of breast size and also obtain several consultations with well qualified board certified plastic surgeons that can show you good before and after photos.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast Augmentation with “Pigeon Chest”?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You may be an excellent candidate for breast augmentation surgery. I would suggest that you do your due diligence and select a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation.  Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and communicate your goals carefully.

I would also suggest the use of silicone gel breast implants given the paucity of soft tissue coverage in your case.  These types of implants may help minimize  rippling/palpability of the breast implants.

In other words, not only is it possible, but I think you should have a beautiful result after breast augmentation surgery.  You may find the attached link helpful to you.

Flat chested breast augmentation

+1

From your pictures I would say it is definitely possible to enhance your breasts with implant surgery.  I HIGHLY  recommend silicone because of wrinkling problems with saline implants.  Go submuscular.  The chest wall issues will be less noticeable with implants.  It is important to choose an implant diameter close to your breast diameter to avoid a wide seperation of the breasts.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com 

Talmage J. Raine, MD