Breast Augmentation with Periareolar Lift - Possible Double Bubble? (photo)

I am not please with my left breast. It feels loose, slightly uncomfortable, heavy, looks lower, and you can see the natural breast over the implant. I cried to my surgeon and told him it didn't feel like it was in place compared to my right. He said everything is fine. My left doesn't fit well in my bras now, and Ben feels weird in a sports bra. He just told me to come back in six weeks. I woul like him to revise the left. Any advice? Can anyone tell me what it looks like? Am I crazy?

Double bubble on right

+1

It appears you have a double bubble on the right  - this is repaired with capsule sutures in most cases

Breast Augmentation with Periareolar Lift - Possible Double Bubble?

+1

These photos are too out of focus to evaluate. There does seem to be an indentation on the right side. Without pre-op photos it would only be a guess as to what this might be. Possibilities include indentation from the old breast fold (if the fold has been lowered), and indentation from the lower edge of the pectoral muscle. 

The asymmetry in the bra does not look apparent without the bra, so I don't know what to make of it. 

Although clearer photos would help, this problem really needs an in person exam, either by your surgeon or a second opinion. 

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

+1

Very underexposed out of focus photos so I can not see the issue to be honest. Best to either repost better photos or seek in person second opinions. 

Fixing Double Bubble

+1

If your breasts had any element of constriction before, lowering of the fold may have been necessary.  Wait 6 months before any revision.  If the fold is raised the areola will appear lower, as you suggested, and may need an additional lift.

+1

You have a double bubble  ( bottoming out ) of your right breast .This is causd by the implant being lower than the left and extending below the fold.

Correction is done by elevating the fold and fixating it in position

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Double Bubble?

+1

Yes, you have a double bubble deformity. It is easy to correct through the original augmentation scar but I would not want to do that for a minimum of three months after the surgery. The procedure is called a capsule repair.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

BA with Periareolar Lift - Can It Result in Double Bubble

+1

Your photos indicate that your breasts do look different, and it appears that you have a double  bubble situation on your left side (mirror photo). My guess is that you had a somewhat tubular shaped breast with a constricted base, underdeveloped lower pole, and a downward pointing nipple. This type of situation can be managed with the combination of procedures that were performed, and your right breast really looks quite nice. Unfortunately your left breast looks somewhat bottomed out and the implant position is too low. This is why it looks different in a bra. Your problem has nothing to do with the type of lift that was performed. It really has more to do with management of the breast tissue in the lower pole when placing the implant. Likely some lowering of the inframammary fold and repositioning of your breast tissue was required. However doing this increases the risk of implant malposition with the implant dropping below the level of your natural breast tissue result in the double bubble appearance. It likely can be corrected by repositioning your implant upwards along with some repositioning of the breast tissue so that it covers the lower portion of your implant. This problem will not improve with time and might possibly get worse. I believe that a revision is indicated, but remember that all surgical procedures carry some risk. 

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Not happy with breasts

+1

I understand your concerns.  The appearance of the breast is due to the way your breast was before surgery, slightly tuberous on one side.  As you have read from the other surgeons, correcting it would involve a lift which requires scars.  Personally, I don't think the scars would be worth a little improvement in the shape of your breasts.  I agree with your surgeon. The result is not perfect, but no woman's breasts are, and there is always some degree of asymmetry.  Trying to correct your situation runs the risk of making things worse. Sorry, I know it is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I'm trying to keep you out of trouble.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Double bubble

+1

The double bubble may have occurred because the breast is much narrower than the implant and sometimes with time it stretches out.  If the implant disrupted the fold, then a capsule procedure will need to be performed to resuspend it.

Peri-Areolar Double Bubble

+1
You are correct, you do have some double bubble effect with breast tissue falling over the implant.  This occured because a peri-areolar lift is not effective for lifting the breast...it is only effective for reducing or repositioning the areola.  A lollipop mastopexy would be more effective. A revision is indicated but you will require additional scarring. Good luck.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon