Can I Get a Breast Augmentation Done with No Pain Medication?

Do you need pain meds?

+1

You're not alone. Many women don't want to take prescription pain medication after surgery due to side effects, sensitivities, or other concerns. That said, breast augmentation — and all surgeries — will come with some discomfort or pain. Careful surgical techniques can help minimize the level of pain you experience during recuperation. Also, many surgeons will use a long-lasting local anesthetic that significantly reduces discomfort for the first day or so after surgery. Many women get by with over-the-counter pain medication, and some use none at all. As many of my colleagues have written here, subglandular implant placement typically produces less discomfort than submuscular, but I'd be careful not to make your decision based on that. Choose the implant placement that your doctor feels will create the results you want. Good luck!

No pain, no gain?

+1

Dear Laurie,

It is indeed possible to have a breast augmentation without requiring pain medication.  It will be somewhat dependent on where your implants are placed (under or above muscle/fascia) and the level of your pain tolerance.  There are also several versions of "pain pump" devices now available that can sometimes eliminate the need for pain medication altogether.  Consultation with an American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified plastic surgeon will help you determine if this is possible.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

It depends from location

+1

the most painful is behind the pectoral muscle

intermedium pain: subglandular location

minimum pain: subfascial plane

i recomen a lower pain killer like tramadol mixed with gabapentina

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation without Pain Medication

+1

Yes, it is quite possible to use no traditional pain medications following a breast augmentation. The amount of pain following a breast augmentation is most dependent on the technique used by the surgeon.  Careful direct dissection of the tissues will other than stretching the pocket significantly reduces postoperative pain.  Also, placing the implant, when appropriate, above the muscle markedly reduces postoperative pain.  There are also other techniques that can further reduce postoperative discomfort.  Placing a pain pump which continually puts an anesthetic into the area around the implant or placing a Marcaine gel into the space around the implant are 2 of these methods.  I very frequently have patients use nothing or an occasional Tylenol postoperatively.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

No narcotics after a breast aug

+1

It is possible to avoid narcotic pain meds after a breast aug.  I would recommend using a pain buster.  It will be important for you to have a relatively high pain threshhold, however.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentaiton without pain medication?

+1

Thank you for your question. You can have the surgery done without pain medication afterward but you will need to have pain medication while under anesthesia. There are many options to control pain after surgery that cqn limit or eliminate the use of narcotic pain medication. Another important factor is your tolerance to be able to handle the post operative discomfort.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

+1

Yes,  I have some patients that only take extra strength tylenol after surgery.  You still need anesthesia during the surgery though.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Sure, but why?

+1

I assume you mean no narcotic pain pills after surgery, not during your anesthesia. If you have a prior addiction and are concerned about this, working with your pain specialist can allow safe and comfortable breast augmentation recovery without the concerns you have.

Discuss this with your plastic surgeon, who has likely dealt with patients like you before (I certainly have over 27 years), as well as your pre-op or family physician, and any other health care professional involved in your care for whatever your concern is.

But breast augmentation is an operation and there is some discomfort (or pain) for which appropriate medication use is recommended. I use local anesthetic (long-acting) in the breast pocket, oral anti-inflammatory medications, muscle relaxants, Ice bags, and Vicodin if needed. Many of my patients use little or none of their prescribed narcotic medication if they properly use the other medications as recommended. Many of my patients describe their pain as 2 or 3 on a 10 scale the day after surgery when I first recheck them, and I get a surprising number of zeros on the ten scale! (AND, full disclosure--a few 7s and 8s, usually from women who have not yet had babies, which seem to make everything more tolerable!) Even below the muscle (the majority of my patients) can be very comfortable with careful technique and accurate control of bleeding = little swelling, bruising, or pain.

So, yes, it's possible. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon