Escalating Pain Months After Breast Augmentation with Saline Implants

I'm 3 months post op and have had discomfort and pain in my left breast for the past few weeks and the pain seems to be getting worse. I also think that my breast looks a bit swollen, and my nipples are no longer a lined, no firmness, is this normal?

I had saline implants put under the muscle. Massaging seems to help but the pain and tenderness comes back.

Call your doctor!

+3

One thing we tell our breast patients is that they have to be their own best advocate. If they notice any heat, firmness, swelling, redness or anything in their breasts that makes them uneasy at all, they need to call us sooner rather than later.

Don't wait to see if it will go away by itself. Don't think you're being a pest. Don't allow a small problem to become a big problem. You really owe it to yourself and your surgeon to go in and be seen right away. What you're experiencing is NOT normal, but you already have kind of know that or you wouldn't be as concerned as you are. Now you just need to make the call and work with your surgeon to determine what the problem is and how to fix it.

Good luck!

Increasing pain in the chest folloiwing augmentation

+2

The pain in your breasts should be resoloving at this point in time and actually improving rather than becoming worse. Contact your surgeon for an evaluation.

Swelling Months after Breast Augmentation

+1

You should consult with your plastic surgeon. The pain maybe still resolving, but this is uncommon. Swelling months after surgery maybe due to seroma formation or fluid accumulation, infection, beginning of capsular contracture. You should be examined by your plastic surgeon to ensure none of these are concerns. 

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Pain 3 Months after Tummy Tuck?

+1

You should be seen by your plastic surgeon to rule out issues such as encapsulation and/or breast implant displacement.

Make sure you follow up frequently

+1

If you have ANY issues after surgery, you must tell your surgeon. I have never known a plastic surgeon to be upset by a patient calling and asking for help. Especially with pain and swelling, your surgeon will appreciate your call.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after breast surgery

+1

It is uncommon to experience increasing pain and noted swelling in one of the breasts several months after the surgery.  This could be suggestive of an early seroma possibly.  If this continues to expand, be sure that your Plastic Surgeon follows you carefully.  A mammogram/sonogram may be necessary.  If surgery is required, be sure that the fluid removed is sent for culture analysis and cell pathology review.  This would help to eliminate any concern of infection or cancer diagnosis( very uncommon, I must add).

You may have simply bruised the breast because of some physical activity.  Initially cool compresses and antiinflammatory medications may be suitable to try to limit this swelling. 

Good luck for the future.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Pain in breasts

+1

If you are feeling pain and discomfort that has gotten worse or is different from the feelings that you had as you were healing, I would seek advice from your doctor.

Visit your plastic surgeon

+1

It is unusual for you to have swelling and increased pain in one breast 3 months after surgery. The best way for you to know what the problem is would be to see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. Best of luck,

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS