Breast Augmentation Open Incision Three Weeks?

I had a breast augmentation done three weeks ago and I slipped 10 days postop and slightly opened my incision which is located in the crease. I quickly saw my PS an he put me on antibiotics and said to go see him again in 5 days. I went back and there was a stitch from the second layer of stitches showing through so he took it out. He told me to wait another 5 days to see if it looks like it'll heal. There is no infection and he said the implant is not exposed at this point. What should I do?

Breast augmentation incision open

+2

I think it is very important that you follow your doctor's instructions. If your implant is not exposed and you have a small separation of your incision, then chances are you may be OK.  Without being your treating physician I can not say for sure.

Trauma after breast augmentation

+2

Sorry to hear that you fell after your surgery.  I think both you and your plastic surgeon are doing the right thing.  If you have any concern or question regarding the integrity of your incision, you should contact and see your plastic surgeon.  Your plastic surgeon should also see your frequently to make sure that you and your incision are healing properly.  Please ask your plastic surgeon what signs and symptoms that you should be looking for in regards to wound dehiscence or implant extrusion.  

Sugene Kim, MD

Open Inframammary Incision after Breast Augmentation

+2

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems after your breast augmentation.  The best thing to do is to follow up with your surgeon as recommended and be very compliant wih his instructions.  He may choose to continue treating the wound with local wound care such as wet to dry dressing changes with normal saline, and it will heal from the bottom up, or he may perform delayed secondary closure.  Good luck to you!

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Incision 3 weeks postop

+2

I'm sorry to hear about your incision.  But it sounds like you've done the right thing by following up with your PS.  If there is no implant extrusion, then your incision should heal well.  Continue following up with your PS.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Clean healthy incisions want to heal

+2
Hello, Thank you for the question. A clean, healthy incision will want to heal. Therefore if the implant is not exposed and there is nothing else that is going on your open incision will heal. A clean healthy incision can also be closed. I do not know what your plastic surgeon is seeing but if the wound is clean he may choose to close it. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Opened Incision after Breast Augmentation?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced.  These complications can be anxiety provoking for  both patient and surgeon.

Considering that you are following up closely with your plastic surgeon, I think you are doing one you need to do at this point. Of course, it will be important to keep the area clean and covered with sterile dressings.

Again, your plastic surgeon is in the best position to advise you;   frequent physical examination/follow-up is critical.

Best wishes for eventual healing.

Open incision after fall

+1

Looks like your PS is treating is appropriately. Pl follow his/her directions and maintain close followup per directions

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Traumatic wound separation at three weeks post breast augmentation

+1

It is hard to know exactly how much this wound separation will effect your healing without a photograph.  In most cases the sof tissue swelling will seal the wound back together.  At this point there is not much you can do other than good wound care, keeping the area clean and be careful with your activities so as not to aggrevate the situation.  You should  follow your surgeon's advice. 

Open incision three weeks after surgery

+1

Tough call! Hard to say much without seeing you and not knowing what was done during the surgery. Stay in close contact with your surgeon.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Open incision after breast enlargement

+1

I am sorry about this problem.

You are right to stay in close contact with your surgeon and follow his instructions.

His care sounds exactly right.

Here's hoping that your incision heals quickly, now that the deep suture is gone.

Bets wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD