Breast Augmentation - "Naturally" Draining Hematoma?

Hi, I am currently in Buenos Aires and had 350cc Mentor silicone implants placed in the inframammary crease on Oct 2nd. A week post surgery my incision opened in 2 places, 1mm each. The swelling and bruising are now minimal, but for about 10 days I have been bleeding dark blood from the openings, as my doctor advised me that the hematoma should drain "naturally" into gauze until it stops and heals itself. He prefers to wait it out to avoid having to re-stitch me. Should I be worried?

Breast Surgery

+1
It is extremely hard to make accurate diagnosis as well as giving crucial decision making clinical decision without an in person physical examination along with a length discussion, please see your local board certified plastic surgeon in your area. If you dont have a surgeon you can look at the american society of aesthetic plastic surgery website and search by zip code or postal code. I wish you the best success!

Hematoma draining

+1

Difficult to say what is the best thing for you without an exam. If it is a large hematoma, then it needs to be drained.  If it is just a small skin separation causing a small amount of bleeding it may need nothing but local wound care.

Self draining hematoma after breast augmentation: treat or let it resolve

+1

This is a judgement call and there is no right and wrong decision. Some surgeons prefer to drain the hematoma in the OR. Others will let small hematomas resolve spontaneously. The concern is that any route out of the implant pocket is a potential route in for bacterial

Breast incision drainage

+1

Bleeding, infection and anesthesia complication are the most common untoward issues with elective surgery. Hard to make any comments without seeing you.   It is important to continue to see your plastic surgeon often,and advise him of any issues.  He should be watching closely.  Depending on the clinical situation, antibiotics may be appropriate as well. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Bleeding or Hematoma is the most common complication

+1

When bleeding occurs after an augmentation mammaplasty, if it is a small amount is can absorb on it's own, but that may lead to some problems down the road.  So it can be drained, in the OR, or in the office.  It is a good thing for the old blood to come out, but the concern is for infection at this point.  If the drainage does not stop soon, a  suture or two in the open spots might be helpful. Good Luck.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Incision Draining- Wound Care Thoughts

+1

Of course, discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  If the incision is open a small amount and draining very little, there is a good chance that your incision will heal up great.  The concerns are infection, and continued bleeding.

Infection is a concern, since you stated you have 2 areas of an open incision.  Your plastic surgeon may want to give you antibiotics by mouth and antibiotic cream to put on your incision.

Continued bleeding and having the blood accumulate in the breast implant pocket is also a concern, and your plastic surgeon may want to ensure there is no other blood being kept within your breast implant pocket. 

Roy Kim, MD

Hematoma after breast augmentation

+1

Aside from what should have been done or should be done you definitely need to be on antibiotics while this is sorted out.

Aaron Stone, MD