Sensation loss 2 months after breast augmentation

i've had a breast augmentation 2 months ago and one of the breast has lost some sensation? is this permanent? Will I ever recover? I have had 350cc saline inserted through the breast crease and the right breast is a bit numb from the nipple down. I have some sensation however when I touch the area I have a weird feeling. Is there a way to correct it? My surgeon says that this may take up to 6 months to heal but I feel like it may be their fault? Any advice??

Sensory loss after breast augmentation with implants

+2

Fault is a strong word and imples wrongdoing and will distance you from your surgeon. I would encourage you to avoud the use of this word. It suggests that you are seeking legal resolution. Nerve damage and sensory loss is a risk of the procedure. It is very likely that this will resolve with time as discussed by your surgeon. Give it at least 6 months and maybe even 2 years for the sensation to return or become stable.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Sensory Changes After Breast Augmentation

+2

Dear Marissa,

Changes in sensation are unpredictable and completely normal after breast augmentation. In most cases, the sensory changes are transient; if they are improving, it can take anywhere from 6-12 months for sensation to return to normal. In a few rare cases, the sensory changes remain and are permanent.  No one is at fault for this.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.

Sensation Loss After Augmentation RARELY Permanent

+2

What you are describing is completely normal!  Alot of women report that they are numb from the bottom of their areola to the inframammary fold for 1-6 months afterwards.  This is because those nerves can really get stretched out and take time to come back to normal.  They are not cut, just really stretched, and the nerves do not like to be stretched in any way.  They react by shutting down for a little while.  Just be patient and everything will bounce back in time.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Numbness and Breast Augmentation

+1

There can be some sensory changes in the skin and or nipple after breast augmentation but this does not happen often.  The best thing to due is to allow completion of the healing process and usually the numbness will resolve during this period.

Dr. ES

Sensation Changes can occur with Breast Augmentation

+1

A change in sensation after a breast augmentation may occur but is rarely permanent. The exact mechansim is unknown, but the risk seems to increase as the size of the implant increases. This may be due to stretching of the nerves, or because a wider dissection is required. Having said that, it can happen with any size of implant.

It can take up to a year for everything to return to normal, though most patients will have it resolve within 3- 6 months. If your symptoms are better than they were one month ago, that is a good sign; it signifies that the nerve is slowly recovering. At your stage, there is still much time for your sensation to normalize. 

Sensory Loss after Augmentation

+1

There is always a chance of having loss of nipple sensation which can be permanent following an augmentation.  I routinely discuss this possibility with my patients.  The fact that you are having some "weird feelings" is positive and probably increases the chance of more normal sensation returning.