Having Breast Augmentation with Mentor Moderate Plus 425cc Saline, Under the Muscle. Size Recommendation?

I'm 5'6 145pds currently wearing a36B , I've breastfed 3 kids, my breast lost volume after breastfeeding but even with the loss of fullness my breast don't have any sagging, my surgeon said that my breast are in very good shape, but I would like to achieve a full D cup as I had been during my breastfeeding years, my doctor informed me that he will be placing the implant 2/3 under the muscle, my underbust is 32.8 ,will the 425cc be able to get my 36B to a full D cup? Any size recommendations ?Thx

Choosing a breast implant size

+2

I have my patients bring in photos of breasts that they like and we then match some samples to this.  The patients place the sizers in their bra to find out which size implant is right for them.

Breast implant selection

+2

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:
1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.
Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Will 425 cc under the muscle fill a 5 ft 6"/ 145 lbs. 36B breast to a full D?

+2

Probably not. Implants always look a little smaller in the body under the muscle, than in the bra as a sizer. We ask our patients to chose a PlayBoy type photo of the size they want to see in the mirror nude after surgery. We post that picture on the wall in the O.R. and keep filling the saline implant until it looks that size in the patient. If you have a wide rib cage a moderate plus Mentor shell of 400-500 cc range should be used. Then it could be filled to as much as 500 cc if that is what it takes to create a full D cup sized breast. Don't restrict your surgeon to a given cc. size. Give him a magazine picture of the size appearance you desire and let him adjust it during surgery to more closely match that size.

Dr Foster  Lake Tahoe Plastic Surgery   

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

I hope you are not concerned only about size! Have you considered other factors?

+2

Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions, but your choice of 425cc implants will add about 1 2/3 cup sizes to whatever breast volume you presently have, and that seems about right.

BUT, have you and your surgeon discussed cohesive silicone gel implants instead of saline?  The present generation of silicone gel implants (by any of the 3 present US implant manufacturers) cannot leak, have much less likelihood to develop visible or palpable rippling, and have a much more soft, natural, and homogeneous-with-breast-tissue "feel."

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing "bad" about saline implants, as we (US plastic surgeons) were forced by the FDA for 15 years (between 1991 and 2006) to use saline implants for elective first-time breast augmentation patients (no silicone allowed, unless you had breast cancer, congenital deformities, needed a breast lift, or already had silicone implants--then they were OK), and did quite well with many happy patients and good results. And saline implants DO cost a few hundred buck less than silicone. But how much is that re-operation (or the time off) for a saline leak and deflation?

STILL, since 2006, 98-99% of the women in my own breast augmentation practice (over 150 per year) have chosen silicone, and every one of my office staff and nurses who had saline implants have undergone re-operation to have silicone implants placed. (Their choice, after seeing plenty of patients with both kinds of implants).

You should try on various implants in a bra and stretchy top, and bring your surgeon photos of nude models or breast augmentation patients from websites whose results (size) you like--these will help your surgeon to make the proper choice, which cannot be completely and properly made pre-operatively. There are too many factors that may contribute to another choice in the operating room. Your surgeon should have ALL implant types and sizes and profiles available, not just order a couple of options in advance. That way you can be better assured you are getting the best choice that can come closest to your goals, rather than just getting "the ones we ordered."

If all of this has been discussed and decided upon, then by all means proceed as you wish.

But for more information that might be helpful to you, click on the web reference link below for my comprehensive guide to breast augmentation. (Gird your loins--it's lots of information, but most of my patients feel it is of value to them!) Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+2

Size can be such a difficult aspect of breast surgery to discuss on a message board. It is so vitally important that you and your surgeon communicate about what your goals are. Every person starts out with different amounts of breast tissue so a 425cc implant on you may make you a D cup but it might make another person only a C cup. I use sizers in the operating room when I perform breast surgery with implants. What I see patients for consultations I ask them to give me a range of sizes they would be comfortable with. I ask what is too small, and what is too big. Based on the dimensions of my patients breast I can then make an informed decision about low, moderate or high profile implants. Each will give you a different look. Before your surgery use make sure you have communicated to your surgeon what your desires are and make sure they feel comfortable in their ability to deliver the results.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Best Breast Implants to Achieve My Goals?

+2

Thank you for the question. I think you will be better off howevercommunicating your goals further with your plastic surgeon as opposed to online consultants. You will find that you will be bombarded with information online;  this information will be probably conflicting and/or confusing.

Communication with your plastic surgeon will be key to achieving the results you are looking for. Unfortunately, the use of words such as “full D” means different things to different people.  
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

In my practice I use goal pictures to communicate with patients.  With this technique patients are able to demonstrate what they are trying to achieve and what type of looks they do not like as well. 
I also use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Implant Selection Process

+1

I think this size range should get you into a D cup range.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Sizing breast implants

+1

There is no good way to know what "425cc" will do without an exam and assessment of your current size relative to a 32 inch chest and the current diameter of your breast. 

Breast implants are just pillows that fill out volume from behind your breast and there is no simple/consistent way to measure your current size or your resulting size. The number of cc's in an implant sounds exact but the effect is something subjective. 

In my opinion and experience, breast implants are properly sized by matching the diameter of a round implant to the width of your breast upright with arms down. The patient's choice is the forward volume of the implant of that diameter which is low (Allergan), medium (Mentor or Allergan), moderate-plus (Mentor), high (Allergan) in saline-filled implants. Unless the breast is unusually wide or narrow for the chest, this corresponds to increasing the size of the breast from 1-2 cup sizes with the moderate-plus falling between 1 1/2 (medium profile) and 2 (high profile) cup sizes bigger than the breast started (under the pectoralis muscle). If you are a mid B cup now you could get to a D cup size with a high profile (Allergan) saline-filled round implant. The number of cc's is determined by the diameter of the implant, the profile, and the fill (rated fill to max of about 10% more). It doesn't work well to start from the number of cc's and work backwards or to use external sizers or to try to figure this out during elective, cosmetic surgery. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon