Strong Pain Medication Prescription After Breast Augmentation and Lift

I am scheduled to have breast augmentation and a mastopexy. I have a high tolerance to pain medication due to chronic muscle pain and I am nervous that they will not prescribe a strong medication after my surgery. What should I do?

Breast Augmentation, breast lifting

+2

Dear Candis

Pain with any surgery can be controlled by a variety of techniques. The most important steps are 1) pre-operative dosing of pain meds along with a medication to dull the nerves, 2) long acting freezing for the tissues during surgery, 3) post operative mobilization, and 4) good early post operative pain control.

You can discuss this with your surgeon.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Pain After Breast Augmentation

+2

You need to discuss pain management with your plastic surgeon. Both you and he need to be comfortable with how your pain will be managed. After the procedure is not the time to figure out the pain management, especially since you have recognized that this could be an issue.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Pain relief and management after Breast Augmentation

+2

There is no answer to this other than trial and error. Use of meticulous technique and perhaps the use of bipolar cautery has been claimed to lessen pain but the latter has not been my personal experience. Use of a pain pump is controversial but may provide relief as well. Some anesthesiologists specializing in precise nerve blocks can provide a regional thoracic block to limit perioperative pain. Use of muscle relaxants may also supplement the pain relievers. The use of motrin may be controversial due to its potential for bleeding. Alternatively some physicians utilize celebrex as an antiinflammatory and analgesic.

Of course there are many narcotic analgesics as well and many other options to consider. IF you have extremely low thresholds, you may want to see a pain specialist pre-operatively to prepare you and have them available in the post-operative period.

Pain control for breast aug with lift with high toleramce to narcotics

+1

If you have a significant chronic pain issue, most patients are under the care of a pain specialist. This doctor usually is in charge of all pain medicine for that patient.  The pain specialist can work together with the plastic surgeon to help manage post operative pain.

There are some techniques such as instillation of numbing medicine at time of surgery.  Temporary pain pumps that drizzle numbing medicine into the pocket after surgery can be helpful as well.

Make sure your plastic surgeon is aware of this early on so that he may best help to manage this issue.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

History of tolerance to pain medication and upcoming surgery

+1

Please discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. We want our patients to be as comfortable and pain-free as possible after surgery. If your surgeon knows ahead of time, that you have a tolerance for certain medicines appropriate adjustments can be made.

If you are under the care of a "pain management specialist" , they can be involved as well to help you.

John E. Gross, MD

Pain medication post breast surgery

+1

Pain medication requirements are tailored to the individual. This is a topic you should talk with your surgeon about.  Some patients only need Tylenol while others require stronger meds like Vicodan/Percocet.

Discuss this with your surgeon

+1

Your should discuss you concerns with your doctor. There are many options for the pain control. Make sure to have open discussions with your doctor about this and any other concerns you have before surgery.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon