Is a Breast Lift Necessary for Me if I Get An Augmentation? (photo)

34-yr-o mom of 3, 5'7", 118. 1st consult ystrdy, utterly taken aback by opinion that I "NEEDED" lift or my results would be aweful. I found this unexpected n terrifying. Pass the pencil test barely, did not think I needed lift, because of small size thought an implant would fill enough to do the trick. Have more consults but really need much advice. Lift scars terrify me n goal was to look in mirror n feel good finally, not make matters worse.  Example of what I xpected posted

Lift or filling

+1

The answer is, it depends. If you get a small implant, then a lift may be necessary, but if you go with a larger size, it may give you the improvement you need. A larger implant (over 350ccs) may fill you up enough so that you look as if your breasts have been lifted. Also  you do not want to put the implants under the muscle.

Breast Lift or Augmentation Alone

+1

Hi,

The picture you sent is hard to perfectly evaluate, but you do appear similar in your picture to the other patient picture that you have provided. While no two people are alike, it is quite possible that you will have a similar result. I have found that many patients who I originally thought "had" to have a lift, in fact looked fine after just an augment alone. As long as you understand that your nipples will be lower on the breasts (as they are now), then the augment can provide you with the volume that you are seeking. In cases such as yours I sometimes use sub glandular silicone implants to really expand the breast envelope and provide a lift from within (so to speak). I hope this helps.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation

+1

Remember an augmentation does not produce a lift.  A small lift whether just an areola one or a vertical may be beneficial.

Is a lift needed?

+1

Don't panic. You've only had one consult. Whether or not you need a lift depends on the result that you are looking for. Your nipples are a little low and would remain so without a lift. But the posy op photos you show are nice and I would anticipate that you would get the same type of result without a lift. Don't feel forced into something you don't want as long as you are realistic with the results that you will get from what you want. Get more consults and check out their photos until you find a surgeon who can deliver what you want. If they all say that you need a lift than it may be time to reconsider. 

Ronald Schuster, MD

Do I really need a breast lift? (photos)

+1

Although it is only a best guess from your submitted photo and the info. provided (pencil test), my best guess is that you can indeed achieve the desired result without formal mastopexy.  Depends on how much your inframammary crease is lowered, diameter of selected implants, how your augmentation is done, etc.  Can always defer mastopexy and have it later if absolutely necessary. Even if you need it, will likely be peri-areolar, barely visible (and revisable) scars.

Steve Laverson, MD

Not every woman with breast droop needs a lift!

+1

Indeed you appear to show a degree of breast ptosis (droop or sagging) that make you a "borderline" candidate for augmentation alone. Whether or not implants alone can yield a satisfactory aesthetic result will depend on your exact anatomy, dimensions, skin and muscle elasticity after implant placement, and time to allow the implants to settle and drop into proper final position . . . all before deciding if this result is what you want, or if more surgery is "needed."

A lift "right away" may in fact be more predictable as far as aesthetic result, though there are surgeons who feel that this should be divided into two operations to achieve best results (I do not, though many good surgeons do), but then you have to accept the scars and cost. Being taken aback is a good description of how many women feel when told they "NEED" a lift.  Perhaps that surgeon truly felt that way, and rendered an honest opinion. Others may disagree, but any one of use who would presume to second guess the surgeon who actually examined you would be foolish. Get several additional opinions by ABPS-certified plastic surgeons who do lots of breast surgery. For photos of patients with varying degrees of sagging undergoing breast implants alone, click on the link below. Take a look at my patients 5, 6, 11, 24, 27, and 31 for examples of what can be accomplished with implants alone in SOME patients. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

Looking at the front picture is not enough to answer this question. A side view and breast measurements are needed. Based on 10 years of working as a plastic surgeon and looking only at the frontal view my gut tells me you need a lift. No one wants to hurt your feelings, they want you to be happy with your results. Set up a few consultations with board cetified plastic surgeons and good luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Lift and augment

+1
The pencil test measures the amount of tissue along the chest wall and does not give an indication of whether a lift is needed because it doesn't recognize the location of the nipples. I agree with others that without side view photos, we would simply be guessing on whether the lift should be performed. However, despite the trepidation expressed by many patients on this forum about lift scarring, my patient satisfaction rate is extremely high. Scars will fade but the decisions you make in an effort to avoid scarring can have lasting consequences. There are a variety of mastopexy variations and I would encourage you to see more doctors in consultation and clearly define your surgical goals.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Pass the pencil test, a lift is optional

+1

We are with you. The pre picture is very much like you, and the after would be a pretty good bet. If you pass the pencil test the lift is optional, and the scar may not be worth the effort. Implants alone will make you happy.

Do I need a lift?

+1

Certainly an augmentation alone can fill out empty-appearing breasts.  What it won't do is to lift the breast tissue (or nipple/areola).  If you would be satisfied with simply filling the tissue you have, then you don't need a lift.  Certainly, get more professional opinions to help you with this decision.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon