Areola Scar Correction After Breast Augmentation and Lift

Are there any procedures like skin grafts for correcting breast augmentation scars? I got implants a year ago, and my doctor did a crescent lift. The top half of both nipples have horrible wrinkle-looking scars that are just ugly to me. I spent a lot for my augmentation, and now I wish I had no breast instead of a breast I want to hide!

Areola scar Revsion after Crescent Breast Augmentation and Lift

+2

Without any pictures it is impossible to give you any specific advice on your condition. I suspect, you either had a wound separation of the wound was under a lot of tension and the scar stretched out. The most common causes for it are patient non-compliance (smoking, not wearing support during the crucial healing period) and, or stretching the technique to try and get more lifting than a Crescent Mastopexy Can really accommodate (IE trying to lift a sagging breast for more that 1 to 2cm that a Crescent lift without resorting to a Lollipop type lift).

Your best bet is to see several Plastic Surgeons (www.PlasticSurgery.org) and see what they each recommend. In this way you can fully understand and decide which options is best for you.

Good Luck.

Need to gauge your dissatisfaction and research your options

+2

Hi there-

I think that you need to carefully consider how much the scars are bothering you, and whether it is enough for you to consider undergoing a second procedure to diminish the scars and/or reshape the breasts.

If so, I recommend you do some homework and find a surgeon Board Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who also has a lot of training and/or experience in breast surgery.

These problems can be tricky to fix, and you wouldn't want to still be unhappy after a second procedure- be sure about what you want, who you choose to help you with the problem, and that a longer scar to correct the problem would be worth it for you.

Good luck.. I hope you get what you're looking for.

Bad Areola Scar after Crescent Breast Lift: What to do

+1

It would be helpful to understand why you scar is bad. For example do you mean - too wide, different color (too light or too dark), ropy, etc. Typically wide scars are due to too much tension at the time of closure, dark scars are genetic, race related or from sun exposure causing hyper pigmentation. Ropy scars can be due to too much tension placed on the incision (e.g. if you use this technique to lift the breast more than inch), or from genetic factors (e.g. keloid prone). Were scar gels, or silicone pads used afterwards?

There are so many factors that can cause "bad scars". The good news is that they can often be made better through a myriad of different techniques and procedures: ranging from scar revision, laser, injections of steroids and 5-FU, camouflage tattooing for color differences, and so on. The key would be to see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn of your choices. You may want to look at my website blog where I list best scar management tips.

Web reference: http://drnichter.com/category/article/

Dissatisfied with breast implant augmentation lift scars

+1

I am sorry you feel that way. These scars can generally be improved now that your incisions are under less tension. Consider scar revision surgery which should improve the scars.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Scar revision after crescent lift

+1

If you are unhappy with the scar around your areola after a cresecent lift, you may be a good candidate for a scar revision. Usually this will heal better now that the majority of the tension from the original closure has dissipated.

May need to convert to a different type of breast lift design

+1

An areloar crescent breast lift has very narrow indications. You usually can raise the nipple and areola no more than 1. 5 to 2 cm. If pushed too far then the result is often less than satisfactory. If there was a good deal of tension on the skin edges then the scar will usually widen out. If the crescent of skin removed is greater than 2 cm in width then some pleating of the skin must be done to accomplish the closure. The biggest level of dissatisfaction with breast lift surgery is picking the wrong technique to accomplish the goal. Many times were are directed by the patient on what level of scarring is acceptable. This places the plastic surgeon at a disadvantage if he agrees to the plan given its limitations. The patient may state the only scar they will allow is one from here to here. The procedure is agreed upon given these limitations. Then the result is less than satisfactory, the patient complains. 'but your the doctor and you should have known that this would be the result.' It is important that we know our limitations and perform the procedure to our best ability. If too many limitations are placed by the patient then we must refuse to do the procedure in the first place.

A photo of your result would be ideal to determine what degree of correction is indicated. It is possible that your breast lift needs to be converted to a doughnut or lollipop type. This would possibly round out the areola and prevent scar widening.

It sounds like you need another opinion

+1

I would suggest that you visit a few other excellent plastic surgeons in your area to get some ideas about what can be done for you.  I am sure they can come up with a plan to allow you to begin to better enjoy your augmentation.

Crescent lifts

+1

Cresent lifts have narrow applications. When pushed beyond their limitations, there may be significant trade-offs like what you describe. There are no easy solutions to scars. You might be able to redistribute the wrinkle skin by re-doing the peri-areolar lift or even adding a vertical scar. It all depends on the configuration. You might have to decide if the wrinkling is worse that longer scars without the wrinkling. The longer you wait, the better the wrinkling usually becomes.

Get a second or even third opinion.