How Will Lopsided Breasts Look Like Long-term After Correction?

During my breast augmentation consultation, my doctor suggested a breast lift on one side to help correct my lack of symmetry. My left breast is larger than my right breast by 200cc and my right breast has a tubular deformity. My doctor also suggested a small implant on my larger side and a large implant on my right side. I'm concerned about how my breasts will look in the future. Will my larger side still continue to sag more over time than my right side, even with a lift?

Lopsided or Tubular Breasts Often Require Lift On One Side and Implant On Both

+4

Truly nice looking results can be achieved in the correction of lopsided breasts or breast asymmetry when correction is done by an experienced Plastic Surgeon. A tubular breast is more challenging but can be corrected.

A lift and or reduction on the larger lower breast is typically done and Breast Implants are usually placed on both sides for better symmetry.

See the reference below for examples of correction of asymmetrical breasts and tubular shaped breasts.

Long Term Effects of Breast Asymmetry Correction

+2

Correcting a breast asymmetry requires asymmetric surgery!

While the results are often a dramatic improvement, perfect symmetry is seldom (if ever!) achieved.

Since the two breasts have grown differently to this point, and the right breast requires a different procedure from the left, the two breasts will likely change differently over time.

Your breasts may require another procedure at a later date to restore symmetry if they are affected differently by aging.

In any plastic surgery procedure, we can only do our best to correct or enhance, but our procedures do not stop growth or the effects of aging.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant and breast lift symmetry

+1

Breast asymmetry can be corrected with a breast lift and implant.  The long term outcome for symmetry is excellent and patients do well with treatment and cosmesis.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Tuberous breast asymmetry

+1

This is an insightful question.  Asymmetric breasts may be made more symmetric either with asymmetric breast augmentation or with an asymmetric reduction of tissue.  It is far more common to correct asymmetry of tuberous breasts with asymmetric implants.  While this is an imperfect process, the results are often satisfying.  The rate a breast develops ptosis depends on factors that are able to be controlled, and others that are not.  Breast size, age, lactation, smoking history, weight loss, diet, exercise, and genetic factors all affect breast shape.  Good luck.

Jason R. Hess, MD

Tubular breasts are challenging

+1

You are correct in thinking that the larger breast will continue to sag over time.  This is common in tuberous breast corrections.  You should expect to need additional balacing procedures in the future.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Breasts should always look better after augmentation.

+1

Breasts should always look better after augmentation -- after all that is why you wanted surgery.  When you have a significant asymmetry between the two breasts it is often necessary to perform a lift on one side and use different sized implants.

Long term the breast which is larger right now will behave more like natural breast tissue -- it will be affected more by gravity than the breast with less breast tissue.  This should still be very acceptable because you are not symmetrical right now -- it usually will always have better contour and shape after surgery.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Correction of assymetric breasts and tubular deformity

+1

Unfortunately, plastic surgery does not guarantee permanent results. Factors, such as: pregnancy, weight loss/gain, as well as, aging, and gravity may affect the look of the breasts. Based on the information you provided, the planned procedure seems most beneficial for your case. A photo may have been more helpful in assessing your significant case. I would advice you to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest possible options for you. They will suggest the procedure which will achieve the look you want and provide a longer-lasting result. Assymetry is very common among women and can be improved. Although, tubular breasts are not as common, it is still easily corrected as long as you have a surgeon who specializes in those special cases. Good luck to you!

Long term results after breast asymmetry procedures

+1

Breast asymmetry is very common, although a tubular breast deformity is less so. From your description, the surgical plan sounds correct. Tubular breast deformities can be difficult to treat depending on the severity of the deformity. After correction, the breasts will age differently. You may have more droopiness over time of the left breast, however, the improvement should be quite substantial. If the current asymmetry bothers you, I would not let the possibility of differential aging prevent you from obtaining correction.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Breast Asymmetry

+1

Many patients seek the help of plastic surgeons to correct asymmetrical breasts everyday. Without examining you, I cannot say for certain what the best course of action would be for you. Often patients with asymmetrical breasts undergo breast augmentation with a breast lift to even out the size and shape of the breast to achieve more proportionate breasts. As far as the rate at which your breasts sag, that is up to gravity and it impossible to predict.

Tarick K. Smaili, MD

Patients are very happy following breast asymmetry correction

+1

You have a very common situation, many plastic surgeons such as myself see this situation on a weekly basis.  Correction of your asymmetry will have an excellent effect on your immediate and long term breast shape, and I would not recommend being afraid of surgical breast enhancement.  You will be able to see such results on many surgeon's websites such as my own- patients are so often thrilled at the new found ease of wearing clothes and bathing suits following such surgery.  

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon