Breast Augmentation Insicion Site Sore and Bleeding

I am almost 3 months post op. 520CC, Anatomical, unders, periareolar incision. Everything seemed to be healing up fine, but about a week ago both nipples became dry and started to crust and bleed a little. now they are puffy, very tender and pinkish. I did start swimming often, but have searched the web and not found any contraindications to swimming this far post op. Should I go see my dr? - He is not local and often hard to reach :(

Infection Likely

+2

I agree that this may be an infection and should be evaluated asap. Late infections are unusual, but not unheard of. Good Luck!

Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Sounds like an infections is brewing and you should be see by a surgeon as implants do not handle infections well so you want to be very aggressive in their treatmenst 

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Bleeding following breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for your question.  I would strongly urge you to go see your surgeon and have them do a physical examination.  The second picture is potentially concerning for a infection and they may need to start you on antibiotics if they feel this is the case.  Hope that helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Skin infection? of breast incision

+1

It sounds like you have a possible skin infection at the site of the incision. It may be related to a stitch abscess and unrelated to your swimming. You should see your doctor for evaluation.

You need to see your surgeon

+1
I would recommend that you see your surgeon for evaluation. The care for patients does not stop after surgery and your surgeon should be easily accessible and available.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Infections after breast implant surgery need to be taken seriously

+1

It is possible that you have some skin infecton,or cellulitis. It may be merely inflammation from internal sutures but you should see your surgeon regardless.  You do not want any skin infection to go deeper and infect the implant. The fact that your doctor is "not local and often hard to reach" is concerning to me.  This only stresses the importance of choosing the right surgeon because comlications can arise months later. I am guessing that your surgeon is not a board certified plastic surgeon and ASPS member. The plastic surgery community takes accusations like this ("hard to reach") very seriously.  You may have to find a local plastic surgeon who is willing to see you and possibly take on someone elses complication. Make sure you bring all your medical records (operative report) with you if you see a new doctor because it will be improtant to know exactly what was done during the surgery and what sutures were used. If you are unable to get your operative report, this will make it difficult for any doctor to take proper care of you.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Breast augmentation incision tender 3 months after surgery

+1

Increasing tenderness of the incisions after surgery always has to make you think of infection.  Most bacterial infections will occur at the incision within a week or two, but there are exceptions.

One exception is implant infection, which can present up to a year (or longer!) after surgery.  In that case, the tenderness would usually be at the implant, and not so much at the incision.

The other big exception is atypical bacteria, which are often found in lake and swimming pool water.

It certainly should be OK to go swimming if your incisions are completely sealed, but if there are any openings, you should avoid submerging the incisions.

In your case, you should certainly speak with either your surgeon, or if that is not possible, consider going to the emergency room or urgent care, or your family doctor.

James Nachbar, MD

Nipple puffy and sore with bleeding after breast augmentation

+1

The symptoms you describe with the swollen skin and rash over the nipple suggest a skin infection and you should let someone see you right away as an antibiotic is likely required. We can't be certain of the cause as the picture is not typical so many months out from surgery, but get seen today.

peterejohnsonmd