Does Breast Augmentation Increase Rib Protrusion Below the Breast and Stomach?

I had 250cc implants removed after 5 1/2 months. It has been 2 1/2 months since removal. My ribs are protruding below the breast crease. Also, my stomach is larger and flabbier, which was not the case prior to the implant surgery. Did the implants cause the bulging ribs and stomach? Will the noticable rib protrution revert back to its original size?

Implants and rib distortion

+1

It is extremely unlikley that the implants had any impact on you rib cage architecture or for that matter you stomach.

Change in rib shape following breast augmentation

+1

Although changes in rib contour immediately behind the implant can occur with long term placement of the implants it is unlikely that it would have much effect on the ribs below this area. It may be more apparent due to a comparitive difference in chest wall projection but this will likely improve with boney remodeling.

Can breast implants change your rib shape?

+1

Large breast implants that have been in place for a long time can certainly cause a change in rib shape, creating a depression beneath the implants. However, you had relatively small implants in place for only a short time, so I highly doubt that any bone deformation occurred in your case.  And it's absolutely not possible that implants changed your abdominal shape or size. How has your weight changed since your surgery?  Has your physical activity changed?  Those are more likely to have caused your abdominal changes.

Carmen Kavali, MD

No

+1

In general , after  implant removal breast tissue and  the chest wall will go back to the pre augmentation position. Your implants were removed shortly after the surgery and it should cause any long term effect.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Do Not Effect Abdomen

+1

In your case, what has happened is that you have gotten use to seeing yourself with implants, and now that they are gone, you are seeing your abdomen more and the ribs underneath where the implants sat.  The implants did not change any of this, but your perception has changed.  When you have implants, they make other parts less noticeable.  With them removed, your breasts look smaller naturally, making your abdome appear larger.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Effect of breast implants on lower ribs and abdomen

+1

It is highly unlikely that the breast implants had any effect on the ribs below the level of the breast or on the abdomen. Without a photo or face to face examination it is impossible to identify the cause or permanence of what you are describing.

Aaron Stone, MD