Getting Breast Augmentation in 1 Month, Will 275-300cc Take me From A to B Cup?

5'4" 116 Lbs. My surgeon is talking about placing a 275-300cc Silicone breast implant. Do you think that’s correct?

Implant Volume (cc's) Doesn't Matter - What?

+2

The important aspects of a breast implant are its diameter and its projection.  Have your surgeon measure your breast / chest wall and determine the appropriate implant diameter for you.  Then try on low, moderate and high profile implants of that diameter and see which one makes you feel like a "B" cup or gives you the look that you want. Pick an implant that makes you feel "a little big" to compensate for the effects of surgery and time. Implants are like shoes - they have to fit and they have to look good in the mirror.  Volume is a bi-product of the diameter and projection and should not be a determining factor when selecting an implant.  There, now you have my secret.

Arizona Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection Process

+1

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately,  an accurate recommendation cannot be made without an in office exam to measure the chest wall and breast mound.    There is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast Cup Size is Not As Important As You May Think

+1

Cup size is arbitrary and you can vary depending on the bra type and manufacturer.  However, it is common for that amount of cc's to raise you one cup size at least.  Instead of cup size I would worry about the dimensional analysis and what your measurements suggest is the appropriate shape and size implant for you. The video link below may help you in this.

Good luck.

Dr Ghavami

Ashkan Ghavami, MD

Implant size for augmentation

+1

I try to advise patients to not focus purely on the amount of cc's.  Depending on your height, weight, and frame, a certain size implant can look very different in the particular patient.  Typically though, that size should come close to your goal.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Only You Can Determine Appropriate Implant Size

+1

First of all, try not to concentrate on cup sizes which vary a good bit from bra to bra.  Try on implants to see the volume increase that you are seeking.  Having said that, a 275-300cc implant will likely increase you one cup size (with the same style bra) at your pre-op height and weight.

John Whitt, MD

Breast augmentation and cup size

+1

It is hard to predict cup size for a specific implant  volume.   I try to go over this with patients in consultation.  I focus on volumes with patients and this is usually acceptable once they understand it.

Cup size and breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for your inquiry.  I tell my patients all the time that cup size is like a dress size...it changes with every brand.  Without seeing a picture it is hard tell to what 275-300 cc will do and the profile of the implant matters as well.  Please select your implant size on the look you are going for rather than the cup size.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

275-300 cc implants and a one cup size increase

+1

Knowing your height and weight is not particularly helpful for sizing breast implants, having them fit and look right, and getting you a one cup size increase in breast size. I would also disagree with the suggestions to use external sizers or "trial" implants. This is quite misleading and doesn't really help size the implant. 

The proper way to size breast implants and know what effect they are going to have in the subpectoral position is to measure the width of your breast upright with arms down. Subtract about 3/4 cm or so from this and you will know the diameter of the implant that will fit your breast and look right. (This also determines the height of the implant if it is round and will also fit in most cases). You should then choose a low profile saline implant (Allergan) or the lowest profile gel implant (Mentor or Allergan) and the volume of that implant properly placed should make your breasts look about one cup size larger. The exceptions would be implants above the pectoralis muscle (submammary) which I don't recommend or for a breast that is unusually wide or narrow for your chest circumference. Also be aware that there is no exact measure of breast cup size before or after the surgery. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing for breast augmentation should be an individual decision done in the surgeon's office with professional guidance

+1

Thank you for your question. That sounds about right but it is good to try on implants by placing them inside a bra and then putting on your shirt over them.  You can look in a mirror; this will give you a good estimation of size.  Your question is difficult to answer specifically without seeing you in person, examining you and measuring your breast base width diameter.  I also don't know what profile implant has been selected.

I hope this helps. Best wishes and good health for your surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast implant sizing

+1

To directly answer your question:  Yes, the size implant you suggest should take you up one cup size.  However, I agree with the other surgeons who have answered this question, that, if you haven't already done some sizing with trial implants, you should definitely do so before you proceed with surgery.  You REALLY  want ot be happy with the implant you choose.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon