Having Breast Augmentation in 5 Days but Am Taking Antibiotics for an Infection in Toe, is This Safe?

i am due to have breast augmentation in 5 days. but resently have had an infection in my toe which i have been proscribed auntibiotics for. the nurse said it should clear up in a few days but im not sure if it is safe to go ahead with my surgery.

Nope

+1
Call your doctor!  I would not do your surgery.  Medical devices should be placed in optimal conditions.

Should I do a Breast Augmentation When on Antibiotics for a Minor Infection Elsewhere?

+1

I would recommend not doing your breast augmentation if you are being treated for an infection anywhere on your body.   There is an increased risk of breast infection of either your implant or skin if you are currently treating an active infection.  I would recommend letting a week or two pass after your infection resolves.  Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Breast surgery with possible lingering toe infection

+1

Dear Robyn,

Please make sure your infection is COMPLETELY clear before your BA surgery. Your PS should not have a problem in delaying your surgery until you are cleared by your treating physician.

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Surgery With an Infection

+1

Hello. I recommend that my patients complete the course of antibiotics to completely rid themselves of the infection. The amount of time that I would wait before surgery varies with the type and severity of the infection. It is crucial that the infection is completely gone for at least 24 hours before a cosmetic surgery. Otherwise, you risk the infection spreading to the breast implants and causing serious complications.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

+1

I tend to be very conservative when it comes to implant cases because breast implant infections are devastating. You absolutely need to tell your surgeon what is going on so that they can make the best decision how to proceed with your case. If you were my patient I would cancel your case because I like my patients to be completely infection free before I ever place a breast implant.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast Augmentation and Infection in Toe?

+1

It will be best for you to communicate your situation with your plastic surgeon directly  as soon as possible. Generally speaking, you should be “infection free” before proceeding with the breast augmentation surgery. Otherwise you are  potentially being exposed to bacteria seeding the breast implants.