Can Breast Augmentation Hide my Indented Sternum? (photo)

I appear to have mild pectus excavatum in addition to absurdly small breasts. Mine looks wider and shallower than others I've seen, with my entire sternum sunken 1-2 cm below my ribcage except for a bony ridge along the sides. It is asymptomatic and I've decided against invasive surgery. In brief, I'd like to know to what extent breast implants (likely 200-300 cc to fit my 5'6, 110 lb frame) might improve or camouflage the appearance of my sternum, and what special considerations might apply.

Breast augmentation and indented sternum

+2
Dear Virginia, Excellent question and helpful pictures. You have a mild pectus deformity and most people wound even know that they have this. You would do very well with moderate profile gel implants placed partially under the muscle. Attention will need to be given to the dissection of the implant pocket close to your deformity to indeed camouflage this region. Please discuss this with board certified plastic surgeons.

Breast implants and pectus excavatum

+2

Good question, and the answer is in the eyes of the beholder. 

Breast implants will certainly enhance the breast appearance. I have a hard time from looking at my own patients and at photos of other surgeons patients (google to find some) whether the implants make the pectus more or less noticeable. The good thing is that the overall appearance is improved. 

Keep in mind that the breast surgeon should be prepared for variability in anatomy. Where the pectoral muscle inserts into the sternum may be different (wider) than usual. Sometimes those of us who almost always prefer placing the implants below the muscle will consider placing them above the muscle for that reason.

Sometimes, injecting a modest amount of fat over the sternum will help camouflage the pectus defect, but it looks like you have no extra fat to spare!

Breast implants will help the appearance of the indented sternum

+2

You have a very good questions because you are not alone with this issue.  You have a fairly symmetrical shape and appearance of the chest so you have a favorable situation.  I have put in breast implants for women with more indentations than you have and they have done well. 

You need to make sure you are doing the breast implants mainly because you want larger breasts and the secondary benefit will be the camouflage of the indented sternum.  It sounds like you are on the right course with your sizes.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and pectus excavatum

+2

Hi, breast augmentation itself will not correct the sternal problem but it will certainly distract from it and make it less visible to the eye.

i recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have an examination and get measured for the optimal size and shape implants that would give you the best results. good luck.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation can do an excellent job of camoflaging the appearance of pectus excavatum (indented sternum).

+2

Yes, breast augmentation can do an excellent job of camoflaging the appearance of pectus excavatum (indented sternum).

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation For Mild Pectus Exacavatum

+1

Dear Virginia.

Thank you for sharing your photos.

You do have a mild pectus exacavatum and I believe that breast implants will play a major role VIRTUALLY hiding it.

In other words, I believe that a surgery to repair your pectus excavatum is not necessary as you have mentioned that is asymptomatic but with submuscular breast implants, it is very possible to MASK the current appearance of your sternum by deviating the attention towards the augmented breasts.

Definitely, I encourage you to seek a consultation with a board certified surgeon of ample experience who can guide you to make a well informed decision about your surgery as it is of a delicate nature.

A breast augmentation performed by the right surgeon will offer you commendable results.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS