Breast Augmentation- is This a Hematoma 6 Days Post Op? (photo)

Breast Augmentation- is This a Hematoma 6 Days Post Op?

+1

Would have been nice to see the posted photo off the other breast in the same views. But you have a bleed but just this side of a hematoma. If this enlarges more than we need to consider you have a true hematoma. Best to follow up with your surgeon ASAP//

Hematoma after a breast augmentation

+1

A hematoma after a breast augmentation results in a breast that is more swollen and firm than the other.  Bruising may not even be apparent.  A patient may report a sudden onset of pain which is followed by swelling after lifting something or doing something strenuous.  If it happens it usually will do so in the first few days after surgery.  The best thing to do is of course contact your surgeon immediately if you feel something is wrong.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma vs. Bruising after Breast Augmentation

+1

Based on this photo, it appears that you have a bruise around your incision site.

If you notice a difference in size between the breast, I would be concerned for a hematoma.  I would contact your plastic surgeon for a quick exam to ensure that you do not have a hematoma, which may require operative intervention to control any bleeding and mininimize risk of capsular contracture or infection.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

is This a Hematoma

+1

This looks like a bruise.

A hematoma will usually cause a size difference between the breasts, or a marked increase in pain on one side. Neither or these can I tell from the posting. All the best. 

Hematoma after breast augmentation

+1

You are certainly bruised, which is by definition a hematoma. The concern is if there is a collection of blood within the breast implant pocket. This would result in one breast being larger and more tense than the other breast. You should call your plastic surgeon to be sure. 

Web reference: http://www.drschulmanplasticsurgery.com/breast/breast-augmentation/

Bruising versus hematoma

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  A hematoma is a collection of blood.  It is usually of appreciable amount to cause a change in shape and symptoms.  Bruising can be thought of as some blood within the tissues.  It should be associated with a change in size.  You can think of a bruise as swelling and hematoma as a collection of free fluid.  This is important because there is nothing that needs to be done with a bruise while a hematoma may have to be evacuated.  It looks like a bruise from my perspective by your plastic surgeon and your description of how it has changed will be the key to proper diagnosis.

Dr. Remus Repta

Web reference: http://drrepta.com

Breast Augment

+1

If you have sudden swelling and pain it very well maybe and you should see your surgeon immediately otherwise it may be just bruising if not much as changed clinically since surgery

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.