Breast Augmentation - Possible Hematoma 7 Days Post Op?

I had a breast aug w/350cc in both. It has been 7 days post op, and my right breast is fuller and higher than my left. I believe it may be due to a hematoma on the right side of my rib cage. The actual skin on the bruising feels much firmer than the left. I went in 3 days post op to have this checked out, and the nurse marked lines around the bruise and told me to watch if the bruising/bleeding spreads outside the lines. It has not spread, nor gotten smaller. Surgeon said not to worry. Should I?

Seek attention soon, hematoma is possible.

Post-operative hematomas following breast augmentation surgery are characterized by sudden swelling, pain, bruising with purple discoloration and significant asymmetry.Hematomas require re-operative surgery to control bleeding and evacuate blood within the breast pocket.It’s important to recognize and treat hematomas following breast augmentation promptly to avoid secondary complications.Untreated hematomas can result in significant capsular contractures.

Your pictures and history suggest the presence of a right breast pocket hematoma.Under these circumstances, it’s important that you seek consultation with your plastic surgeon as soon as possible.Your surgeon should be able to perform a physical examination and clarify the issue.If a hematoma is found, treatment should be initiated as soon as possible.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

See your surgeon for possible hematoma

Please contact your surgeon about this. Firmness or swelling accompanied by bruising can indicate a hematoma, and this should be tended to by your surgeon. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Unfortunately, without a complete history and physical exam and through pre operative photography there is not enough information to make an informed plan, please consult your surgeon or another local board certified plastic surgeon

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

214 Sullivan St
New York, NY 10012

Hematoma after Augmentation

Anytime there is a change in the breast size, I ask my patient to immediately notify me, such that I can perform an in office examination.   

I would recommend contact with your plastic surgeon as I am concerned by your swelling combined by pain, which is characteristic of a hematoma.   This may require operative intervention to control bleeding, prevent infection, and minimize risk of capsular contracture.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Hematoma after Breast Augmentation?

Based on your pictures,  you certainly have significant bruising or a hematoma present. You are doing the right thing by  following up with your plastic surgeon who is best positioned to diagnose and treat the problem. 

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Hematoma of breast?

The right breast does look larger and higher but an exam would be critical also basing it on your pre-op photos, etc.. Very possibly a hematoma.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Options for managing excessively bruised breast

While the right breast does appear more bruised and slightly larger, part of my decision would be based on the pre-operative appearance. You may have experienced a small hematoma but it appears stable. Treatment options vary by practitioner with some favoring resorption and others advocating drainage.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Hematoma and Breast Augmentation

Your picture looks bothersome to me. I would explore the implant pocket to assure that there was not a hematoma. Hematoma will lead to infection or capsular contracture. Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

Hematoma after breast augmentation

The incidence of a hematoma after breast augmentation is extremely low, however needs to be treated urgently once diagnosed.  The pressure of the hematoma (blood) on the underlying skin can jeopardize the blood flow to the nipple/areola and compromise the breast skin as well.

If you notice a higher and noticeable firmer breast as you state and show in your photos above,your surgeon should examine you again and plan to explore the wound in the operating room to possibly evacuate the hematoma and relieve the pressure.  There is rarely an identifiable source of the bleeding, it usually appears as a generalized oozing.

William Bruno, MD

9201 Sunset Boulevard
West Hollywood, CA 90069

You need to see your doctor

You have blood collection over the right breast . You need to discuss this with your doctor. He may want to observe this and 90% w you will get capsular contracture. The other option is to evacuate the blood cloth now and  the risk of capsular contracture will be less .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

3901 Veterans Blvd
Metairie, LA 70002