Help with Healing from Breast Augmentation?

I've had breast augmentation almost 3 years ago and since then I've had Capsular Contracture which made me go back into surgery twice. The first to fix it and the second to then replace the implant. Now I've been testing positive for psuedonomas and been given antibiotics but it has not healed. I have a large strawberry look on the top, it's constantly burning and I can't move to fast because of the sensitivity. Can someone please advise what I should do now? I can't go through another surgery!

You likely need to have your implants removed.

+2

Holly, It is difficult to tell for sure without reviewing your entire clinical course and performing a physical examination. However, if you have a chronic infection of our implants / implant pocket with pseudomonas, then you likely need to have your implant removed and need treatment with antibiotics to clear up the infection. If your infection clears up and you are symptom free for a year or so, then one may consider replacing the implants in a different pocket (submuscular vs subglandular). I know this is probably no the answer you want to hear, but it is the safest thing for you.

Good luck, and I hope you find this helpful.

Healing problems after breast augmentation

+1

I am sorry to hear about your problems.  You have had two operations for capsular contracture; now, it seems like you have infection.  Pseudomonas infection is hard to treat.  With your clinical symptoms and documented infection/colonization with pseudomonas, I would recommend you to have the implants removed.  If you still want implants, you should wait at least 4 to 6 months prior to placing implants back again.  Good luck with your treatment.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Multiple recurrent problems with breast implants: simple solution

+1

Removing and replacing the implants is one way of guaranteeing you will need future surgery,. So, in other words, if you really want to be done with the problem, I would remove the implants for now.

Healing a capsular contracture

+1

My belief is that when plan A does not work, do not make plan B the same as plan A. In other words try something different. In my opinion you should remove the implants and all the scar tissue in one surgery. Then wait three months before replacing the implants. This time period will allow your body to remove any unwanted bacteria that would be impossible to do with implants in place. I have treated similar problems from other surgeons successfully in this fashion.

Good luck

Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD

Multiple complications with Breast Implants

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. Capsular contracture can be very difficult to treat, and to have an infection subsequently is terrible. In particular, pseudomonas is a very difficult bacteria to treat if it is attached to the implant. It usually requires implant removal. In a situation such as yours, I would recommend to my patients to have the implants removed, have the capsules removed, and let your body recover. If you wish to have implants replaced, I would wait at least 6 months before reoperating. However, you may wish to forgo augmentation altogether. I wish you the best in your recovery.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Remover implants when there is a chronic infection.

+1

You have had a dreadful experience with your implants.  I would recommend to my patients that given your scenario, removal of both implants should take place with removal of capsule as well.  Replacement should be delayed for 6 months, but the choice to never replace the implants should be considered.

Capsular contracture after breast augmentation

+1

Breast augmentation is the most common cosmetic surgery in the United States because it provides a consistent way for a woman to change the shape, position and size of her breasts.
The formation of a capsular contracture is one of the known risks of breast implant surgery. The best way to correct this finding is to receive a surgery that requires removal of some or all of the thick scar around your breast implant. We do not know exactly why capsular contractures performed in some patients or in just one breast. This complication unfortunately can happen to any patient and any plastic surgeon.

To learn more about breast augmentation, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Remove the breast implants if you developed pseudomonas

+1

If you have developed pseudomonas as an infection, I would remove the implants and wash out the pockets and perhaps remove the capsule as well. I would then let the wounds heal and wait a good 6 months or more before undergoing a repeat procedure.

Breast implant removal.

+1

Hi.

1) I know this is not what you want to hear. Just based only on your description, I would recomend removing the breast implants, scraping the capsule around the implants, and putting in suction drains for a week to prevent fluid collections.

2) If 6 months later, you still have the motivation, they can be put back in.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Pseudomonas and breast implants

+1

Holly,

It is somewhat difficult to get a grasp on your situation and present condition. If, by testing positive for pseudomonas, you mean a culture of fluid coming from your incision site, then you may have merely a wound infection. Wound infections can be superficial or deep, and the deeper it is, the more at risk your implant is. On the other hand, your implant itself may be infected. This could be an explanation for your capsular contracture, as a relationship between bacterial contamination and contracture does exist. If a superficial wound infection is present, then you may very well be effectively treated with antibiotics and local wound care. If your implant is infected it is unlikely that it can be salvaged with antibiotics and it should probably be removed. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD