Is It Ok to Get a Breast Augmentation if You Know You Are Going to Lose 10lbs?

I am about 5'6 or 5'7 and i weight about 140. It fluctuates between 137 - 140. I want to be 130 and just tone my body soon but I was also looking to get a BA soon. Is it ok to get a breast augmentation if you know you are going to lose 10lbs? Also How do I select a doctor and is there anyway to check their credentials? What kind of certifications should my doctor have? And... I wanted saline implants, how much breast tissue is enough to cover the implant?

Breast Augmentation and 10 lb Weight Loss

+1

A 10 lb weight loss should not make a huge difference in the technical aspects of breast augmentation surgery.  As far as credentials, the surgeon should be board certified in plastic surgery.  Look at the website and find out more about credentials (schools attended, etc., publications).  You may want to find the surgeons who trained at the elite schools of the country.

Should I Lose 10 Lbs Before My Breast Augmentation?

+1

If your breasts change much when you gain and lose 10 lbs, then I would recommend you wait to get the most accurate sizing.

Your doctor should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. That is your assurance that your doctor is trained and qualified to do your breast augmentation and handle any post-operative problems (hopefully none) or revisional surgery that might be needed. You can further check with the state medical board online to see if they have any disciplinary problems.  

Then, if you like their work, and can get referrals from a friend or talk to some of their patients, that will make you more comfortable. Finally, you have to meet and like the doctor and be comfortable with that particular plastic surgeon.

You can have saline implants whatever your soft tissue coverage, but thin women with less tissue will have more palpability and visibility of the implant edges, particularly at the bottom and sides.  Gel implants are better in the sense that if you don't have a lot of coverage, they feel more natural and the edges are usually less visible on the sides.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Weight Loss?

+1

Although 10 pounds may not make a significant difference in the outcome of your breast surgery, if it were me I would achieve a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing any type of breast surgery. Achieving this long-term stable weight prior to surgery, will allow for a more precise recommendation when it comes to the use of saline versus silicone breast implants.

You will be best off doing your due diligence carefully  in the selection of plastic surgeon.  Only in person consultation will provide you with the detailed information you should obtain prior to making any decisions about proceeding with surgery.
I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate him on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Wieght changes and implants

+1

A ten pound change in weight usually will not affect the breasts significantly. As for finding a doctor, the best palce to start is either the ASAPS or ASPS website to locate a board certfied doctor in your area.

Weight fluctuation will make some difference, but probably not significant

+1

Good question!  And good luck with the weight loss.  Remember - your implants will add 1-2 lbs on the scale after surgery as well.  Any wight gain or loss will change your breast size somewhat, but 10 lbs should not make a significant difference or be a reason to postpone surgery.

My Patient Care Coordinator & I often hear frustration from patients on how difficult the 'surgeon search' can be these days.  A doctor's board-certification is the best indicator of his or her training in a particular medical or surgical specialty. Look for certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), they have been proven to provide the best patient care and have the lowest rates of complications. Do not assume that all doctors who claim to be "board certified" have the same training. To determine whether a physician is board certified, you can visit the website of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).

To investigate physician credentials, pending malpractice judgments, and disciplinary actions, you can visit your state's medical board website or call them.  Also, be sure to ask where your surgeon plans to perform your procedure - and whether or not they have hospital privileges. 

Your implant question will probably be best explained by the surgeons you consult with.  Even people with little to no natural breast fat and tissue can 'cover' an implant - it depends on what size implant you choose.  Best of luck.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Losing weight after surgery...

+1

10 lbs is really not a big concern. It just is not enough weight to make any difference.  You most definitely want to chose a surgeon who is board certified in Plastic and Reconstructive surgery. You also want to chose a surgeon who specializes in Breast Surgery. You can also check with your local Medical Society for any legal action pending against he or she. Good Luck! 

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Prior to Breast Augmentation

+1

It is my opinion that a 10 pound weight fluctuation should not make a big difference. Yes, the breast can change size with weight loss but my experience has been that it is not significant unless the weight loss is large.

As far as choosing a surgeon, I would recommend someone who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has experience performing breast surgery.

You will need a certain amount of breast tissue to cover a saline implant. Your surgeon should be able tell by exam if you would be a candidate.

Hope this helps. Good luck! 

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Will 10 pounds make a difference for breast augmentation surgery.

+1

While it is unlikely that 10 pounds will make a huge difference it is likely to make some difference.  Weight gain and weight loss affects the fatty fullness under the skin and can ultimately affect the volume of the breast because the breast is composed of both fat and glandular tissue. Discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon, If you're confident that you're going to lose the weight and you have seen changes in the breast in the past with weight loss you may wish to consider going with a slightly larger implant to help compensate.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon