Breast Augmentation - What Works Best?

Ok, so I am, and have been looking into breast augmentation for the last couple of years. And I know this may sound naive, but I have some questions that a specialist couuld answer better then Yahoo!Answers. How much does it cost for a good augmentation? Not like a black market boob job. Is going from a 34C/D to a 34DD toomuch? What filling and placement looks most natural? What is the general recovery time? I'm teriibly sorry for all the questions, I just feel that the more I know, the better!!

Breast augmentation information.

+2

I generally prefer smooth implants placed under the muscle using an incision around the areola or under the breast. Although I was trained using the axillary incision (armpit), in my experience I generally do not use it because: 1) if the scar is bad it is very visible in a t-shirt or bikini whereas a breast scar is not and 2) there is more bruising and 3) there is a higher risk of asymmetry. The TUBA (transumbilical approach) is attractive because of the location of the scar but it is generally used to place implants in the subglandular (not submuscular) position and I prefer the submuscular approach. I have found that the submuscular location results in: 1)more tissue covering the implant for a more natural look 2) improved mammograms when compared to the subglandular implants and 3) decreased rate of capsular contracture.

I generally recommend that you take a week off work and avoid strenuous physical activity for three weeks. Certain dressings may be required during this time. You will be instructed in breast implant exercises.

Going from a 34 C/D to a 34 DD is very reasonable.  You can try on different sizers at your consultation.  Depending on your breast tissue, silicone may look more natural, however, in many cases saline look just as natural.

My typical costs averages about $6000-7000 and include surgeon's fees (initial consultation, accredited outpatient surgicenter, saline filled smooth round implants, certified anesthesiologists, post-operative visits and initial garments and dressings). Silicone implants tend to add an additional $1000 to the fees. Many other options are available and prices do vary accordingly.

BEST OPTIONS FOR BREAST AUG

+1
RealSelf is a great resource to get expert opinions from board certified plastic surgeons so you made a smart decision by asking your questions in this forum.  First, the cost of a breast augmentation varies from city to city and from surgeon to surgeon.  My office is currently running a special on breast augmentation.  Our price of $5400 includes the cost of the OR and anesthesia, the implants, and my surgical fees.  However, be careful not to let price be the only factor for choosing a surgeon because sometimes the saying “you get what you pay for” is absolutely true.  Only compare prices of surgeons with similar credentials.  Next, without a physical examination it is difficult to say if increasing your cup size from a C to DD would be too much for your frame.  It’s also difficult to determine what size implant would be needed to give you the additional volume you want.  I use the patient’s breast base width to determine which range of sizes her frame can hold.  Then I have the patient try on the different implants sizes so we can visualize the look she’s trying to achieve.  Now, besides the size of implants there are numerous types of silicone and saline implants with different contours, textures, and projections.  In order to determine more specifically which type of implant will give you the natural look you desire, a consultation would be required.  Generally, the recovery time is a few days to a week.  No one person’s recovery is the same as the next, but in my practice I commonly have patients who have breast augmentation on a Thursday and are back to non-strenuous work on Monday.  Again, every patient is different so your recovery may take longer depending on how your body heals.  Continue using RealSelf to research only board certified plastic surgeons.  Be sure to review their before and after galleries before scheduling a consultation.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Best Breast Augmentation = Best Plastic Surgeon

+1
Breast Augmentation prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. The price point is not  most important, rather,  finding the best plastic surgeon is. The price is probably between the $6,000-$12,000 range. My recommendation is to first find qualified surgeons that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust rather than focus on best price point, then compare prices between them. See link on how I would choose the best plastic surgeon. Factors that influence the price include:

1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctors office? Geographical location also has a significant influence.

2. Type of Anesthesia - IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist be used, or an RN?

3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best trained (and longest) would be a surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long, etc . Will other procedures also be done like a breast lift, lipo on the sides of your breast/chest wall, etc be also performed

Re: what looks more natural, your exam and photos would determine that and is part of your consultation

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Many questions without enough info

+1

To answer most of the questions an exam or at least pictures with measurements are needed.

The answers depend on the current size and the amount of sagging ,as well as the thickness of the breast tissue and surgeons experience. I do not know what you mean by a black market lift. You should go to a board certified Plastic Surgeon. There are a lot of unqualified surgeons and certified surgeons who may not do good work but your chances with one who is certified by the American Board of Plastic  Surgeons or  the Canadian equivalent are much better .

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation answers are easy to find

+1

Your questions are good ones, and any plastic surgeon with a practice in breast augmentation surgery should be able to examine you and answer each question. There is plenty of good information available online as well. The procedure is not a complex one, and a meeting with a good plastic surgeon for about an hour should clear up many questions that you have.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation

+1

hi there-

It is impossible to answer your detailed questions without an exam and consultation.

Please read the following article, which I think will help you understand how to maximize your chances of ending up safe and happy...

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

+1

The cost in NYC varies from about $7000-$10000 for a good doctor.  Saline or silicone are fine and placing them under the muscle in most cases is my preferred way.  Recovery is 7-14 days.

Breast Augmentation - What Works Best?

+1

Questions are greatly appreciated, but an in person examination supersedes any answers here. Cost in USA $4,000 on average. No photos so size can not be discussed. Slight over filling and sub muscular placement. 10 days recovery is average. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

What works best for Breast Augmentation

+1

This, as a general question, is unanswerable. What will work best depends on your anatomy, your job, your general activities and several other variables. To some extent it will depend on the surgeon’s experience also. To find out what will work best for you, and the cost, you need a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a surgeon

+1

If you ask 10 plastic surgeons these questions you will get 10 different answers. Without photos or a face to face examination you would not even know which answers are directly applicable. You made the first step which is to pick which procedure you want. The next step is to pick a surgeon. This requires you to see surgeons in their offices. Then you could come to this site to clarify any remaining issues or help you choose between surgeons. That would be my recommendation to you.

Aaron Stone, MD