Could Not Breast Feed After Breast Augmentation, Is This Normal?

I have had a breast augmentation for a little over 2 years but ever since I gave birth 4 months ago I could not breast feed, is this normal or could something be wrong with my implants

Breast Implants and Breastfeeding

+1

Breast augmentation should not affect a woman’s ability to breastfeed successfully. However, if your surgeon placed your implants through a periareolar incision, there is a possibility that the milk ducts were harmed. This is fairly uncommon, however, because most qualified surgeons are very careful to avoid damaging the milk ducts. Hope that helps!

San Ramon Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding

+1

Where is your incision for your augmentation? I dont use a periareolar incision in patients who are serious about breast feeding. A few milk ducts are cut with that approach. I have had patients return and tell me that breast feeding was fine after that nipple approach. Its common knowldge that some women are unsuccessful at breast feeding,without surgery.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants do not affect the ability to breast feed.

+1

Breast implants do not affect the ability to breast feed. Not all women can breast feed with or without implants.

Breast feeding

+1

The inability to breast feed does not have any correlation with the status of your implants. In most cases, placing implants does not cause this either

Michael Hueneke, MD

+1

Dear New Mommy,

About 5% or so of women can not breast feed for various reasons.  Sometimes its the inability to produce enough milk, sometimes it is inverted nipples, sometimes they have had trauma to their ducts.  But an implant, in and of itself, should not cause this inability.  The implant can be placed behind the breast, behind the pectoralis muscle, or behind the fascia or the pectoralis muscle (the covering of the muscle).  When a breast lift is performed with some removal of part of the breast, this can possibly affect your ability to breast feed, but a very small percentage.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding after a breast augmentation

+1

Breast augmentation should not alter your ability to breast feed.  Unfortunately, some women are unable to produce breast milk irrespective of previous breast augmentation surgery.  You should definitely discuss your situation with your ob/gyn and possibly a specialized lactation consultant.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Not Able to Breast Feed; Something Wrong with my Breast Implants?

+1

I am sorry to hear that you were not able to breast-feed but this inability does not  indicate that there is anything “wrong” with your breast implants.