Uneven Breasts from Breast Augmentation Edema?

I had a breast augmentation 3 weeks ago. The right breast had an edema from day one and the swelling was big. Now it has gone down a bit, but still larger than my left breast and i'm worried it will stay this way and I'll end up with one breast larger than the other. Also the right breast (the one with the swelling) looks as if has dropped a bit and it's lower than the left. Does this something to do with the swelling? Would this get better after I start with the massages? Please help.

Uneven Breasts from Breast Augmentation Edema

+1

Resutlts at 3 weeks are going to change and I would definitelygive it at least 3 months if not 9 to fully assess your final results.  

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/breast-enlargement/

Swelling in the breast

+1

Sometimes there is differential swelling between the two breasts, if there was a lot of bruising, I would be worried that you had a hematoma.

You probably have a hematoma in your right breast after breast augmentation.

+1

Hi.

This is potentially serious.  You should have had a sonogram right away to diagnose hematoma after breast implants.  It needs to be drained.  It may not be too late.  If you do nothing, your right breast will be always larger and hard.

Unilateral swelling not uncommon after breast augmentation

+1

It is not uncommon to have more swelling on one side. As long as the swelling is not increasing, it will probably go down in time. Massage will help but I would advise you to wait for 4-6 weeks for things to settle down.

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/breast-augmentation/

It takes several weeks to months for the implants to settle

+1

It really is too early to make a final determination about the implants. It can take weeks to months for the swelling to completely resolve and the implants to settle. However, any unilateral (one-sided) complaints should be seen by your surgeon to make sure that there is nothing more serious occurring.

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

Keep on waiting for breasts to settle

+1

Definitely follow your plastic surgeon's advice. If the problem is the result of bleeding around the implant, or an infection, then they'll most certainly take action right away.

I normally warn my patients (jokingly, of course) that they won't believe how unconcerned I'll be if they mention differences in size and position of their implants in the first 6 weeks. During that time, there is too much tension in the muscle and too much opportunity for swelling for anyone to get worked up over the appearance.

Woe to the surgeon and patient who tries to correct these types of appearance issues too early using a scalpel. You'll most certainly make matters MUCH worse.

Hang in there. I'm sure you had a great surgeon and time will reveal her/his skill!

Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Stay close to your surgeon

+1

It is common to have differences between the 2 sides during the healing. This can be differential swelling and it can also be magnification of preop asymmetry. Give it time and follow your surgeons instructions regarding care, massage, activities and bras.

Too early to tell breast asymmetry

+1

Unless your doctor feels you have a hematoma or seroma, it is too early to tell. You should sit tight, not look at your breasts too often or closely, and follow up with your doctor on a regular basis.

Too early to tell breast asymmetry after augmentation

+1

There are a things I don't know from your description, so I can't say for sure. However, from my own personal experience, I place the implants under the muscle. I don't finish the procedure until the breasts are as symmetrical as possible. By the time the patient wakes up, they look nothing like when I finished: they are high, larger, funny looking (frequently), firmer, and frequently asymmetrical. I tell all of my patients not to really look at them critically until around the 4th week, when they start to really drop.

You are still early in the recovery. Only your doctor can really answer these questions, and since you are anxious, why don't you give his office a call?

Depends on the degree of difference

+1

Asymmetry is present before surgery and will also be present after surgery. Therefore, it depends on the degree of asymmetry you have now compared to preop. If one side is swollen significantly more than the other, I would see your surgeon ASAP to make sure you do not have a hematoma (internal bleeding). That can lead to more tissue stretch earlier and result in a lower implant possibly. More importantly it puts you at higher risk for capsular contracture. The best thing to do is see your surgeon and discuss the degree of asymmetry that you have. If it is within reason when compared to your preop photos, then patience is key during the recovery period as there will be asymmetry in the healing process as well. See your surgeon as soon as possible