How Much Does Breast Augmentation Decrease Milk Production?

Do mothers suppliment more than half of what their baby needs? Does this depend on each case? Will a doctor know about what to expect or should expectations be that a mother with breast augmentation should just use formula entirely for their baby?

Breast feeding with implants

+1

Without knowing exactly the amount of milk produced from the breast without implants it becomes difficult to comment on whether the amount changes with implants.  In my practice of over 4000 breast augmentation surgeries I have had many patients who successfully nursed after augmentation.  I used to share my office with a birthing center and there were many patients there who participated in La Leche League...strong advocates of breast-feeding.  I operated on many of these patients.  Scott Newman, MD FACS

Lots of Mothers with implants are able to breast feed.

+1

A lot of women ask if they can breast feed after Breast Augmentation Surgery. The answer is a resounding yes. For the vast majority of women who have a breast enlargement breastfeeding is no more difficult with implants than without. In fact, some women who have breast fed with and without implants say that breastfeeding with implants is easier!

Breast feeding after augmentation

+1

There is no guaranteed answer about the ability to breast feed after breast augmentation.  While most women can breast feed It is a difficult statistic to gather because some women will have difficulty breast feeding with or wihout implants.  It is always safest to be comfortable with alternatives to breast feeding before embarking on breast augmentation.  You may also consider an incision away from the areola as breast ducts are less likely to be damaged.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon