Breast Augmentation As Day Surgery?

I am planning shortly to have a Breast Augmentation, under muscle, anatomically-shaped implants, to go from my AA to a generous B or a C. The clinic in question performs the operation as day surgery. Is this acceptable/sensible?

I am concerned about pain or complications due to anesthesia, and wonder whether I should look elsewhere. But perhaps it's quite common to go home on the same day?

Grateful for any advice. Happy New Year!

Day surgery for breast augmentation

+1
Most breast augmentation procedures are performed on an outpatient basis, aka day surgery. Generally speaking, an overnight stay in the hospital or surgical facility is not necessary. During your stay, you will be monitored by your surgeon and your anesthetist, as well as recovery room nurses.

Most breast augmentations are performed as outpatient or day surgery.

+1

Thank you for your question. Most breast augmentations are performed as day surgery or outpatient surgery. However it sounds like your concern is whether your breast augmentation should be performed in a hospital operating room or in and offsite ambulatory surgery facility or office.

I perform all of my breast augmentations in a hospital operating room because I personally have always done it that way, and feel that it is the safest environment for my patients. However many superb plastic surgeons perform breast augmentation in an outpatient facility that is not in the hospital.

The most important thing is the skill and experience of your surgeon and your trust and comfort with your surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation outpatient surgery

+1

Most breast surgeries for augmentation are done as an outpatient.  It is very safe to have this procedure and go home the same day with adequate pain medicine prescription.  Good luck

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation is an ambulatory procedure

+1
You should always inquire whether the facility is properly accredited. I perform all my breast surgeries on an ambulatory basis. Augmentation is a short operation and everyone is able to go home the same day with proper pain management. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Same day surgery for breast augmentation

+1

Same day surgery for breast augmentation is the norm.  Although pain is always a factor to be considered, virtually all of this pain can be controlled by a number of different means, most commonly prescription pain medication.  Certainly different patients have different thresholds of dealing with pain.  Be sure to communicate your concerns honesly and completely to your surgeon so that the appropriate plan is made for you.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Day Surgery is Fine

+1

The majority of elective cosmetic procedures can be performed as a "day surgery".  Make sure you have adequate instructions for your post op care including strong pain pill medication and a reliable adult to assist you  after your procedure.

Good luck!

David R Finkle, MD

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation as Outpatient Surgery

+1

Yes, pretty much all breast augmentation in the U.S. is done as outpatient surgery.  The only time the patient would be asked to go to aftercare is if the procedure is done with other procedures and there is prolonged operative time.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast augmentation in Santa Barbara

+1

Breast surgery for augmentation is almost always performed as outpatient surgery. The operation is relatively short and quite safe in the proper hands. In my office I have a certified operating room and use both physician anesthesiologists as well as nurse anesthetists. All of the anesthesia providers that I work with are very well-trained and competent. The operation itself takes about an hour and to an hour and a half and recovery takes about another hour or 2 prior to the patient going home. If my patient is from far away or overseas, I do make sure that they stay at a hotel or resort in town overnight so I can recheck them in the morning after surgery.

I don't think you should be afraid of outpatient surgery for your breast augmentation. Make sure your plastic surgeon is board certified, the location that you have the surgery in is well-maintained and properly certified, and the anesthesia provider is similarly well trained and properly certified. Unless you have a complicating medical problem, a hospital stay should not be required. Best of luck!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation is a safe and comfortable office procedure

+1

Office based cosmetic surgery is the standard in the US, and may well be in Europe as well. Almost all breast augmentation is performed in an office based operating suite in comfort and safety. In properly accredited office based centers anesthesia for breast augmentation may be a general anesthesia, though we prefer a deep sedation in our center. Pain can vary depending on the individual, though as a rule all do well and are quite comfortable by three days. A hospital stay is very unnecessary.

The reasons for the transition to specialised office based surgery are many. One of the primary motivations has been the management of cost which has been out of control in the American health system. We have also found in our experience that the office center may be safer, as there are few if any medication or other medical errors, and the infection that can occur in large busy medical centers and hospitals can be almost eliminated. Accreditation is the key with regular review of any office facility.

Best of luck,.

Breast augmentation is commonly performed as outpatient surgery

+1

Hi,

In the United States, unless there are extenuating circumstances, virtually all breast augmentation is performed as day surgery. This is true even when the implants are placed under the chest wall muscle. Although there is some discomfort with the procedure, it is usually well tolerated with pain medication and muscle relaxants taken by mouth.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD