Breast Augmentation During Cyst Removal?

trying to find out if the doctor can do implants at the same time they remove cysts, so I only have to have one surgery and don't end up with big holes around my nipples (where the cysts are), and in the case of cyst removal would the insurance cover the reconstruction (augmentation) or no?

Breast implants at the same time as cyst removal

+1

The answer to this question really depends on a number of factors.  What kind of cysts are they?  If there is any possibility that any of the cysts are infected, then implants should not be done at the same time.  If they are simple fluid filled cysts, then simultaneous implants may be possible.  Another factor to take into consideration is how much tissue does your surgeon expect to remove?  If it's a small amount, you may not notice the loss in volume.  If a significant amount of volume is to be removed, than your insurance may authorize payment for implants as a part of "breast reconstruction".  The best approach is to discuss the situation with a plastic surgeon that works closely with your breast surgeon.

Breast augmentation and cyst removal

+1

Hello ~

In straightforward cases, it is reasonable and within the standard of practice to concomitantly perform a cyst removal and breast augmentation. The cyst removal may be covered by your insurance, depending on the insurance carrier and your clinical condition. The breast augmentation will not be covered by insurance.

Best of luck ~

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Cysts

+1

Some cysts can be removed at the same time as breast augmentation.  You'd need to check with your surgeon.  As far as insurance, they should pay for removing the cyst which hould also be properly submitted for pathologic exam.  They will not, however, pay for your augmentation.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Breast implant surgery and cyst surgery

+1

Most plastic surgeons can remove benign  lesions at the same time as performing breast augmentation. However, I would not suggest removing these lesions if their removal would result in a deformity.   Keep in mind also, that the lesion must be large enough to be felt during the procedure.

Your question regarding insurance coverage is best addressed to the specific health insurance company involved.

Cyst and breast augmentation

+1

Breast augmentation can be done at the same as most basic cyst removal procedures.  Discuss this with your surgeon.

Breast Augmentation and Cyst Removal

+1

If there is one or two discrete cysts in the area near the augmentation incision location, I think it is reasonable to do the augmentation at the same time as the cyst removal.  Most cysts are not removed unless there is a clinical symptom (pain, discomfort, etc).  I would not anticipate that insurance would cover an augmentation following a cyst removal, but that would be best answered by calling your carrier.  Most cysts are not so large as to necessitate "reconstruction" following a cyst removal.

Christa Clark, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon