Small Areolas After Breast Augmentation / Lift - Is This My Final Result?

I had a breast augmentation combined with a breast lift (mastopexy)11 days ago.Before the surgery I had enlarged areolas.I knew that my areolas would be smaller after the surgery,but it seems like my areolas are so tiny,I feel like I have man boobs.Also my left breast developed a double bubble effect. Do you think that it's too early to see the final result,is it possible that these conditions will improve with time,or will it stay this way? Thank you so much!

Nipple size cannot be determined when you are still wearing steri strips.

+3

Your areolas probably seem small to you because you still have the steri strips on them.  There is a standard for areola measurement during surgery and it is usually not freehanded. You have swelling that will go away within 6 months.  You can't worry about your final outcome at this point. 

Areolar size

+3

The ultimate size of your areolas is not yet determined.  Sometimes surgeons will place goretex inside and that may maintain the circumference as is more than conventional techniques but one thing is for certain, it doesn't look like 'man boobs' on the computer.  Thanks for your photos, the questions are much easier to understand.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

It IS too early to tell

+3

Eleven days is way too early to judge your results.  I agree that it is hard to tell how large your areolas are with the steri strips on but plastic surgeons use something called "cookie cutters" to make the areolas smaller and they are a standard size... so it is likely that your areolas are a great size - feminine and not manly at all.  After breast augmentation and lift, it takes about 1 month to look good and about 3 months to look great!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and breast implants

+3

The photos show a lot of swelling and you will have to wait for this to subside before you can make any judgement about the final result. Given the coverage by steri strips you cannot even make any judgement about the areola size.

Aaron Stone, MD

It is too early to see the final result

+2

The size of the areola is always bigger later on and this  is because of the stretching of the areola. Regarding your concern about the double bubble ,I do not think it will get better. For the time being ,just wait and let your breast to heal. There is not much to do at this stage.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Areolar size will shift after breast lift

+2

Areolar size will always shift after a breast lift because the skin envelop will stretch to accommodate the new shape, and adjust to the pressure of the implant beneath for those that have one. The size of the areola will not give and enlarge as much as with an around the nipple lift, though there will be some give and the nipple will balance out. Yes, it is too soon to tell.

Best of luck

peterejohnsonmd

Post-op breast aug lift

+2

It is hard to say what the size of your areolas are with the tape on but in most cases they are reduced a bit to compensate for later stretching.

Areola size after breast lift/ augmentation

+2

You are still in the early post operative period at only 11 days. Give it time and you will see that it will settle. Your result is very good. Areola size tends to change with time. Best of luck

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Give it time.

+2
Thank you for sending the photos. Obviously your surgeon used a mastopexy technique to lift the position of your nipple areoles complex and released the origional infra mammary crease to lower the implants. With continued strtching that inevitably happens, things should smooth out and your NAC will grow. This is way too soon to get concerned. Allow yourself to heal and rest assured the final result will take months to establish itself. Good luck.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Small areolas after augmentation/mastopexy

+2

The most important thing to keep in mind: at 11 days you are a LONG way from your final result.

Almost everything you see now will change.

Maintain a good relationship with your surgeon - he or she is the best person to be looking after you and dealing with your concerns.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon