Breast Augmentation CC's to go From A to D Cup?

I have a question, how many ccs and high profile or what profile of implants would make my body look proportionate considering I am 5'3 and a half, weight 122 pounds, and have pretty wide hips. I want a look that looks full around d, I am currently a 34A. I also wonder if lower placed implants or high placed implants would look better considering my rib cage. I will post a photo. Thanks!

Implant Size and Bras

I wish it could be that easy!  Even if you posted a photo, it would still be impossible to predict. One problem is the extreme variability in bra sizing, between different companies and between different style of bras within any given company.  The other more significant problem is there is no way to predict how your tissues will react (stretch or compress) to a given implant size or profile, thereby affecting your final appearance/size.

The best way to size you is for you to bring into your consultation pictures of models/celebs who's appearance you like, and some you don't.  This will give the surgeon a good idea about your goals.

Just a quick note about your goals.  There is certainly an implant available to make you the size you want, and there are many surgeons who are willing to use that implant and operate on you.  The problem is you are probably putting yourself at higher than necessary risk for complications after your surgery by sticking to your aesthetic goals.  As you said, you are an A cup and you want to be a D. More than likely it will be a large and projecting implant, one that will have significant adverse affects on your body and increase your risk for complications.  There is a quick and simple system that can determine the proper sized implant based on your anatomy, and it is likely that the implant determined by this system will not make you a D.  It's up to you, and your options are either choose the safe size and minimize your risk, choose the size you and your doctor are certain will get you to your goals, or compromise somewhere in between.

Implant size to go from A to D

Typically it takes 400cc or more to increase bra cup size from an A-cup to a D-cup.  It also depends on the circumference of the chest and the fit of your bras. 

David Stoker, MD

How Many cc's for a D Cup

Choosing the number of cc's should be up to the surgeon. He's the expert. You make sure you let him know what look you want and he will find the correct implant to get that look.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Implant Size

Every patient is different and the a certain size implant may make one cup different in a larger patient and a three cup difference in a smaller patient.  The best option is to go in for a consultation and discuss your goals and expectations with a board certified plastic surgeon.  In our office, we also use the VECTRA XT 3D breast simulator to help you choose your implant size.  With this technology, we take a 3D picture of your body and can show you what different size implants look like as a simulation to surgery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

How many cc'c are needed to go from a 34 to a D cup?

There are several factors involved in determining how large an implant, and style of implants to be used. These include the pre-op status of the breasts in terms of size, shape, chest width, quality of skin, and experience and artistry of patient. An experienced Board Certified plastic surgeon will be able to help you with the proper implant selection.Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Implant size to go from A to D

The cup size can not be promised since all bras are different ( I.e. a "D" cup in Victoria Secret may be a "C" cup in Playtex). The shape or style of the implant that is best for you will depend on your breast and chest dimensions and the size or volume implant you desire. Loose rule of thumb, 200 cc is about a cup size in volume. You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what option is best for you.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used.

Prior to proceeding with breast augmentation surgery it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.    I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”. 

This is a difficult question as I am about to explain. It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Augmentation CC's to go From A to D Cup

Implant size and cup size do not equate well, and cup size is an inexact measurement as it will vary greatly among bra companies and even within the same company.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.

Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.

I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.

By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)