Will Breast Augmentation Cause Me to Have Breastfeeding Problems when I Decide to Have Children?

Will breast augmentation cause me to have breastfeeding problems when I decide to have children? What are common problems? Are there milk production problems?

Will breast implants interfere with nursing?

+2

Breast augmentation through an incision placed in the crease under the breast should not interfere with nursing.  The breast tissue is not entered or cut into, and there is no disruption of the ductal system that leads to the nipple.  If the incision is around the nipple, however, there is dissection through the breast tissue, and there is a greater risk of interfering with the ability to nurse.

Breast Augmentation and Breast Feeding Problems

+1
Breast feeding after a breast augmentation is usually not a problem.Placement of the breast implants usually does not alter the nipple, the milk ducts or the milk producing glands.This means that the quality of the milk, the production of the milk and your ability to nurse should not be altered and you should not have any problems with breast feeding after a breast augmentation.

Some people worry about the implants letting off some type of chemical that might impact the milk but the implants today are so inert and of such high quality that this is not a concern at all.

I hope that helps.

Best regards

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Will breast augmentation cause me to have breastfeeding problems when I decide to have children?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts and give improved shaped, perkiness, and fullness. With the breast lift/reduction , since there is an incision made around the areola along with some rearrangement of tissue of the breast, there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. However, in terms of breastfeeding, studies have shown that there is no increased risk of changing your ability to do so after breast procedures. Not every woman can breastfeed...thus if you can now, your ability to do so will not change after such procedures. Your plastic surgeon will educate you on the risks and benefits of breast implants themselves. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Feeding Problems and Breast Implants

+1
The incision site, specifically the periareolar incision may cause blocked milk ducts and decrease your ability to breast feed though in my experience most will still be able. The other incision choices should not affect your ability to breast feed. Remember not all women can breast feed successfully with or without implants.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast feeding after augmentation

+1

If your implants are sub-muscular and the incision is away from the breast, they will not likely affect breastfeeding.  Is there an echo in here?  BUT KEEP IN MIND - not all women can breastfeed, regardless of their implant status.  Also keep in mind that there is a Breast Feeding Industrial Complex out there that will do its best to make you believe that breast feeding is more important that your sleep, your health, your sanity, your marriage, your job, your older children and, yes, your baby.

Breast pump survivor, Dr. Lisa Lynn Sowder

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Breast Augmentation and Breast Feeding

+1

Breast augmentation usually does not lead to any problems with breast feeding. Occasionally, breast augmentation incisions are placed around the areola. With this type of incision, it is possible that certain milk ducts can be severed during the placement of an implant which could potentially cause a problem with breast feeding in the future.  Also, if a breast lift is done at the same time as the augmentation, it may interfere with the ability to breast feed in the future. However, if an inframammary fold incision or a transaxillary incision is used it should not interfere with breast feeding.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and the ability to breast feed

+1

Breast augmentation should have essentially no impact on your ability to breast feed even though it is a cited issue and risk. With the implants placed either behind the muscle and further away from the breast tissue (submuscular) or the breast itself (submammary) there is no disruption of the breast ducts or glands. Either the inframammary (breast crease) approach or the transaxillary (armpit) approaches do not violate the ducts or glands. The periareolar approach where the implants are inserted through an incision at the lower half of the areola does involve some disruption of some ducts but this would generally only be a small percentage.

One must also realize that there is a percentage of women who can not breast feed and do not have breast implants.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Will Breast Augmentation Cause Me to Have Breastfeeding Problems?

+1

If breast implants are placed through the breast crease (Inframammary) approach or through the armpit (Transaxillary) approach there is no interaction with the breast ducts and the surgery cannot affect future breast feeding. When the breast augmentation is placed through a "smiley face" incision along the lower border of the areola (Periareolar) there will be some division of the lower ducts of the breast but the vast majority are left intact. Although this approach MAY be associated with some breast duct scarring, I have had several patients who had no problem breast feeding after a periareolar breast augmentation. It all comes to weighing the plusses and minuses of each approach and the useability of the scar for later breast surgery as needed.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Breast feeding after breast augmentation

+1

When breast implants are placed under the muscle (which is generally the preferred technique in breast augmentation), and when the incision is made in the crease under the breast, breast feeding in the future is usually doable.  If the implants are very large for your frame and press on the nerve to the nipple, or if that nerve is injured, there may be a problem with sensitivity. In that case, you may not be able to breast feed.  Also, some women are not able to breast feed, even without surgery.

When considering breast feeding, with or without previous breast implants, it is also important to know that your breasts may change shape and size.  Many women request breast lift after breast feeding, especially if they have done it for more than 3 months.

Diane L. Gerber, MD

Breast augmentation does not interfere with breastfeeding.

+1

No.  A breast augmentation does not affect your ability to breastfeed.  This does not mean you can breastfeed.  Some women, perhaps 20% have difficulty breastfeeding and you may be one.  As you might imagine, many women having breast implants go on to have children and breast feed.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon