When Should I Get Breast Augmentation After Weaning?

I am currently breastfeeding my 20 month old baby and I intend on weaning her when she turns 2 years old. My question is, when can I have Breast Augmentation after weaning my baby? Is it right after my milk is dried or do I have to wait for a one or two months before I go for the procedure? Thank you.

Wait 6 months

+1
I usually recommend patients wait until about 6 months after they've stopped breastfeeding before undergoing surgery. 

+1
Best to wait at least 3 to 6 months before proceeding with breast augmentation surgery, after you have stopped breast-feeding. Also, best to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding.

Breast Augmentation After Breast Feeding: How Long Should You Wait?

+1
Most surgeons will say that you should wait somewhere between 3 and 6 months after breast feeding before you get a breast augmentation. However, the only thing that matters is that your breasts have returned to their pre-pregnancy size so that you can a good feel for what size you want to be. This can take a month or more. Some physicians worry about hormones but the two hormones from pregnancy that persist in lactating mothers are oxytocin and prolactin. Both of these hormones usually return to normal or pre-pregnancy levels by 2 to 3 weeks after you are finished breast feeding.

Therefore, for sizing purposes, you should wait until your breasts are back to their normal pre-pregnancy size. This may be as short as two or three weeks after weaning. There is no need to wait longer.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

HOW SOON AFTER BREAST FEEDING FOR BREAST AUGMENTATION

+1
After you have stopped producing milk, I would recommend waiting 6 months to a year before having a breast augmentation.  Pregnancy alters a woman’s body in many different ways and it takes time to get back to your normal self.  Placing implants into breasts that are still lactating can increase your risks of complications later.  Once you are finished breast feeding your breasts will have to re-acclimate to not producing milk.  If you have an augmentation too soon and don’t allow your breast tissue and mammary glands time to adjust, you will increase the possibility of needing a revision at some point.  I recommend continuing to research for board certified plastic surgeons on RealSelf.  Then schedule a consultation once you have successfully weaned your baby to confirm that you are a candidate for a breast augmentation and to discuss when would be the right time for you to have breast augmentation surgery.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation following breast feeding

+1
It is best to wait until your breasts have returned to normal after you have stopped breast feeding prior to undergoing a breast augmentation. I would wait a minimum of 6 months - a year even better

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Weight 6 months or longer after done breast-feeding before breast augmentation

+1

I suggest waiting 6 months or preferably a year after finish breast-feeding before you have breast augmentation surgery. It takes time for the breast gland to return to a normal state after breast-feeding. If you have breast augmentation too early many of the glands are still producing milk, and have not atrophied or reduced in size. You want the gland to be in its final state before surgery. If you have breast augmentation while the gland is still enlarged and it reduces in size later this may affect your result.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Wait 6 months after nursing for breast augmentation.

+1

After your milk has completely dried up, wait a minimum of 6 months and then schedule a consultation. 

Breast implants OK 6 months after stopped breast feeding.

+1

Hi.

You want to let all of your hormones settle down before having elective surgery.  So wait six months after you stop breast feeding and then have breast implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast augmentation after breast feeding

+1

I prefer to wait at least 3-6 months or longer. If you still can express milk or the breasts have not gone back to pre-lactation size, I would wait.

Three months is the generally accepted time frame

+1

Most plastic surgeons recommend waiting at least three months after weaning before having breast augmentation. This allows the milk to completely dry up and the breasts to resume a baseline size and shape. If your breasts did not become significantly larger, a shorter time period may suffice.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon