When Should I Get Breast Augmentation After Weaning?

I am currently breastfeeding my 20 month old baby and I intend on weaning her when she turns 2 years old. My question is, when can I have Breast Augmentation after weaning my baby? Is it right after my milk is dried or do I have to wait for a one or two months before I go for the procedure? Thank you.

Breast Augmentation following breast feeding

+1
It is best to wait until your breasts have returned to normal after you have stopped breast feeding prior to undergoing a breast augmentation. I would wait a minimum of 6 months - a year even better

Weight 6 months or longer after done breast-feeding before breast augmentation

+1

I suggest waiting 6 months or preferably a year after finish breast-feeding before you have breast augmentation surgery. It takes time for the breast gland to return to a normal state after breast-feeding. If you have breast augmentation too early many of the glands are still producing milk, and have not atrophied or reduced in size. You want the gland to be in its final state before surgery. If you have breast augmentation while the gland is still enlarged and it reduces in size later this may affect your result.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Wait 6 months after nursing for breast augmentation.

+1

After your milk has completely dried up, wait a minimum of 6 months and then schedule a consultation. 

Breast implants OK 6 months after stopped breast feeding.

+1

Hi.

You want to let all of your hormones settle down before having elective surgery.  So wait six months after you stop breast feeding and then have breast implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast augmentation after breast feeding

+1

I prefer to wait at least 3-6 months or longer. If you still can express milk or the breasts have not gone back to pre-lactation size, I would wait.

Three months is the generally accepted time frame

+1

Most plastic surgeons recommend waiting at least three months after weaning before having breast augmentation. This allows the milk to completely dry up and the breasts to resume a baseline size and shape. If your breasts did not become significantly larger, a shorter time period may suffice.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon