When Does Swelling After Breast Augmentation Begin to Subside?

I had 325cc silicone breast implants 5 days ago. I am 5'1 and 102 pounds. I was hoping to be a C cup, but I am fitting into a D bra. Is this because of the swelling? If so, when will the swelling begin to go down? When will I know exactly what bra size I will wear?

Swelling after Breast Augmentation is probably at it's maximum at this point

+11

Kcali,

I thought Californians were chill. You are only five days out from an invasive operation. Surely, you have swelling at this point in time, which, by the way, is probably at its maximum. Expect a significant improvement in the swelling over the next 4-6 weeks. At that time you will have a good idea of your final bra size. Good luck!

Don't judge your breast augmentation size for 3 months

+9

At 5 days out from your breast augmentation, there is plenty of soft tissue swelling as well as fluid around the implant. This is normal. When the implants are placed under the muscle, particularly in thin women an oblong bulge is usually noticeable in the upper quadrant. This is the thicker part of the muscle. With time the muscle will accommodate to the implant and flatten down.

This effect often gives the appearance of larger breasts. Your breast shape will also change substantially over the next 6 to 12 weeks and your soft tissue and skin accommodate to the implant. As a general rule, every 200 cc of implant size will equate to one cup size. This can change slightly if a high profile implant is used. Hold off on making any judgment on your final result and breast augmentation size for at least 3 months. Also don’t buy too many bras at this point. Your breast shape will change and the size will most likely decrease.

It takes about 3 months for final size to be seen after breast augmentation

+9

Kcali,

Swelling after breast augmentation takes at least six weeks to resolve, you will be smaller than you are now.

More importantly, the breast implant position shifts as the breast tissues relax after breast augmnetation, and the implant will descend to a much more natural look.

As the breast implant assumes a more normal position, it also fits more naturally in a smaller bra cup than immediately after surgery.

I would reassure you not to worry. It is also very important that you express your concerns to your surgeon

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and post op swelling

+8

Yes, you are still swollen.  This swelling may persist for  a couple to a few weeks.  Your implants probably seem "high" to you as well.  This is normal as people usually look great on the table, and when they wake up the implants rise up toward the collar bone.  They will usually start to move downward at about three weeks.  It may take 6 to 12 months for some implants to settle into final position.  Do not run out and buy a bunch of new bras anytime soon. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

There should be minimal 'swelling' following breast augmentation.

+8
When performing breast augmentation, if your surgeon utilizes precise dissection utilizing electrocautery with prospective hemostasis (meaning a gentle technique without blunt dissection), there should be minimal swelling.  This does not mean that you may not look tight or that the implants may not appear a bit high for awhile.  This is due to the fact that your breast tissues especially in the lower portion of the breast are tight.  They need a little time for the tissues and skin to expand which will allow the implants to settle and appear more natural.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Initially at 2 weeks, most all by 6-8 weeks

+8

The swelling begins to significantly subside by 2 weeks after surgry as long as you are following proper postop guidelines and not overdoing.  In my practice, most all of the final swelling is gone by 6-8 weeks after surgery.  Probably the "final" result is obtained by 3 months.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

I usually say a 1/4 cup reduction

+8

It ususally takes 2-3 months for the breast swelling to resolve. It will also undergo a change in shape as the implants become rounder and sag just a bit. I usually tell my patients that they will lose about 1/4 cup size from the early post-operative period.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Swelling after breast augmentation surgery

+6
There will be swelling after breast augmentation surgery, but typically it is not significant.   Prior to surgery,  several post -operative appointments will be scheduled. It is important to visit your plastic surgeon regularly, especially in the first few days and weeks following surgery.

Swelling immediately after surgery is probably nothing to be concerned about, but your plastic surgeon can let you know what is normal. Any time you have a concern, contact your plastic surgeon right away. In the unlikely event you do have a problem, addressing the issue sooner than later is the best way to manage any issue

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast swelling and buying bras after breast augmentation

+6

Special volume cameras taking photographs of breast augmentation patients demonstrate that the swelling may remain 10-15% larger than the final results for nearly 6-9 months.

You did not state what your initial breast size was and that is difficult to estimate your final breast size.

However, using rough averages, a 325cc implant should take you up about a cup and a half, maybe 2 cup sizes.

At this point in time your breast implants are still high riding and your surgeon may prescribe exercises/massages to move the implants to make the overall breast more soft and supple and less prone to capsular contracture. As the breasts stretch, the implants will descend and create the impression that they are smaller in size. During this period, you should avoid purchasing bras.

I generally have patients use stretch bras or camisoles with built in shlef bras to allow the implants to settle during this time. However, your surgeon may advise otherwise and I would follow their recommendations. By 3 months, the breasts will be closer to their final appearannce and shape, and it is at this point that I encourage patients to go out and purchase their bras and bathing suits.

I hope this helps!

Swelling After Breast Augmentation

+5

The most significant amount of swelling will subside in the first few weeks after your breast augmentation. It can last for about 2 or 3 months depending on your specific healing process. I would recommend being patient throughout the process and making sure you have great nutrition so you can maximize your healing for the best results. If after a few months you still notice too much swelling, contact your physician.

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD