When Does Swelling After Breast Augmentation Begin to Subside?

I had 325cc silicone breast implants 5 days ago. I am 5'1 and 102 pounds. I was hoping to be a C cup, but I am fitting into a D bra. Is this because of the swelling? If so, when will the swelling begin to go down? When will I know exactly what bra size I will wear?

Swelling after Breast Augmentation is probably at it's maximum at this point

+12

Kcali,

I thought Californians were chill. You are only five days out from an invasive operation. Surely, you have swelling at this point in time, which, by the way, is probably at its maximum. Expect a significant improvement in the swelling over the next 4-6 weeks. At that time you will have a good idea of your final bra size. Good luck!

Don't judge your breast augmentation size for 3 months

+10

At 5 days out from your breast augmentation, there is plenty of soft tissue swelling as well as fluid around the implant. This is normal. When the implants are placed under the muscle, particularly in thin women an oblong bulge is usually noticeable in the upper quadrant. This is the thicker part of the muscle. With time the muscle will accommodate to the implant and flatten down.

This effect often gives the appearance of larger breasts. Your breast shape will also change substantially over the next 6 to 12 weeks and your soft tissue and skin accommodate to the implant. As a general rule, every 200 cc of implant size will equate to one cup size. This can change slightly if a high profile implant is used. Hold off on making any judgment on your final result and breast augmentation size for at least 3 months. Also don’t buy too many bras at this point. Your breast shape will change and the size will most likely decrease.

It takes about 3 months for final size to be seen after breast augmentation

+10

Kcali,

Swelling after breast augmentation takes at least six weeks to resolve, you will be smaller than you are now.

More importantly, the breast implant position shifts as the breast tissues relax after breast augmnetation, and the implant will descend to a much more natural look.

As the breast implant assumes a more normal position, it also fits more naturally in a smaller bra cup than immediately after surgery.

I would reassure you not to worry. It is also very important that you express your concerns to your surgeon

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

There should be minimal 'swelling' following breast augmentation.

+9
When performing breast augmentation, if your surgeon utilizes precise dissection utilizing electrocautery with prospective hemostasis (meaning a gentle technique without blunt dissection), there should be minimal swelling.  This does not mean that you may not look tight or that the implants may not appear a bit high for awhile.  This is due to the fact that your breast tissues especially in the lower portion of the breast are tight.  They need a little time for the tissues and skin to expand which will allow the implants to settle and appear more natural.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Initially at 2 weeks, most all by 6-8 weeks

+9

The swelling begins to significantly subside by 2 weeks after surgry as long as you are following proper postop guidelines and not overdoing.  In my practice, most all of the final swelling is gone by 6-8 weeks after surgery.  Probably the "final" result is obtained by 3 months.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

I usually say a 1/4 cup reduction

+8

It ususally takes 2-3 months for the breast swelling to resolve. It will also undergo a change in shape as the implants become rounder and sag just a bit. I usually tell my patients that they will lose about 1/4 cup size from the early post-operative period.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Breast augmentation and post op swelling

+7

Yes, you are still swollen.  This swelling may persist for  a couple to a few weeks.  Your implants probably seem "high" to you as well.  This is normal as people usually look great on the table, and when they wake up the implants rise up toward the collar bone.  They will usually start to move downward at about three weeks.  It may take 6 to 12 months for some implants to settle into final position.  Do not run out and buy a bunch of new bras anytime soon. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Swelling After Breast Augmentation

+6

The most significant amount of swelling will subside in the first few weeks after your breast augmentation. It can last for about 2 or 3 months depending on your specific healing process. I would recommend being patient throughout the process and making sure you have great nutrition so you can maximize your healing for the best results. If after a few months you still notice too much swelling, contact your physician.

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Swelloing after Breast Augmentation

+6

Yes! You are still swollen, so try to not examine your self too closely, just yet.

Every individual heals at a different rate, but you will probably have a better idea of your cup size 2 months after surgery. Don't go bra shopping before then!

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation swelling begins to resolve within 2 weeks

+6

Swelling begins to resolve within 2 weeks of surgery. By 6 weeks, you should have a pretty good idea of the size of your breasts. All swelling will be gone by 3 months and at that time you will see the final results from your surgery.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon